VW Golf Mk4 2003 150pd - dual mass flywheel - wreckless eric

My much loved mk4 Golf 150 is still doing its job at 130k miles. Have had the car virtually since new and experienced no reparis or replacements beyond routine 10k maintenance. My independent garage tell me that the DMF is beginning to go and may need replacing at some point in the future - to be fair they are not pushing me to have it done but have advised a wait and see. What symptoms should I notice if the DMF is on its way out? There's a bit of vibration when the car is pulling from lowish revs in 6th gear but apart from that it's going like a dream.

If the DMF does need replacing is this a job worth doing on a car of this age? If it does go what other jobs should be considered at the same time?

I have read some posts too about converting to a single flywheel. Is this advisable?

Thanks in anticipation of some responses

VW Golf Mk4 2003 150pd - dual mass flywheel - fitterman2

if the dmf is on its way out the sign would be a ratting noise on tick over and when u turn it off, if a conversion is available yes it would work out cheaper to replace. if not then dmf and clutch change

VW Golf Mk4 2003 150pd - dual mass flywheel - akgray

I put a SMF on my pd150 and it is much noisier on tick over with the clutch out. With it in or in gear its no different to the dmf. They are expensive though (1K ish) but can take much more torque than an smf.

VW Golf Mk4 2003 150pd - dual mass flywheel - likerocks

speaking only from received hearsay, isn't the DMF there to protect the engine from it's own torque and vibration as much as for driving refinement? Seem to remember reading somewhere that a lot of high-specific output diesels require the DMF to prevent damage to crankshaft & transmission?