What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - 2.0 petrol durateq missfire and eggy smell - alunevans

hi,

my ford mondeo 2001 has started a missfire,then a bad eggy smell,along with the engine light coming on.

so i replaced the,plygs leads and the coil pack but it wont even start now?????!!!

Ford Mondeo - 2.0 petrol durateq missfire and eggy smell - Gregory II

Have you interrogated the codes? What do they come up with? I think jumping to just changing parts is a good way of getting things wrong!

no i have no way of getting the codes checked,as it stopped outside the house and would no fire up again once id pulled off and replaced the leads and plugs.i replaced the coil pack today thinkng it had failed,but still no joy

Ford Mondeo - 2.0 petrol durateq missfire and eggy smell - Gregory II

I would go for some sort of help from the recovery services to give their opinion. It could be the battery, starter motor or fuel pump possibly; obviously you should test these first with the aid of workshop manual. What did the plugs look like by the way?

Ford Mondeo - 2.0 petrol durateq missfire and eggy smell - Collos25

The egg smell is coming from the catalytic convertor not burning all the sulphur in the fuel and it is being released as Hydrogen sulphide (stink bomb material).There is a fair chance the cat has packed in or the sensor.This link explains it better than me.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070730054205AAuh87o

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 03/09/2010 at 22:25

i know ts getting fuel and the battery is fine too,is turning over just wont fire up,so ill have to take the exhaust off to see if its going to strart up although it will be noisy!!???

.Taking the exhaust of will not make the slightest difference replace the cat lamba sensor first.

ok,ill do that first cheers

Having slept on it the camshaft sensor could be worth a try its quite a common fault on these engines.