What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Camry - Toyota Camry '95 Drivers Elec. Window problem. - Edd1977

Hi all, my first post!

Just bought a 95 2.2i auto Camry, FSH and all the extras, a lovely motor, but suffers with the apparently "common" drivers side window problems. The window DOES drops down, bit of a crunchy noise as it goes (tried WD'ing the runners but it didnt make a difference), but won't go back up without a fight... lots of jiggling, button pressing and general swearing...

Been told by Toyota dealer it needs a new regulator AND possibly a motor, been quoted £300 for new motor and regulator (fitted), or £110 for just regulator (fitted). the regulator part itself was £42 or thereabouts inc VAT.

Can't find sight nor sound of any Camrys in local breakers, or motorfactors stocking said bit/s, so was wondering if the prices quoted sounded about right for the job, and also if the motors themselves are prone to failure? Making it wiser albeit wallet-denting to replace both? The technician at the Toyota dealer stated that it's a rather difficult, fiddly, time consuming job to change, hence the price quotes, and that it was easier to just replace the entire assembly, which of course left me feeling daunted to take on the task myself only having replaced (many eons ago) the window-gear in an old Pug 405 I had. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Eddie.

Toyota Camry - Toyota Camry '95 Drivers Elec. Window problem. - gordonbennet

Have you taken the door skin off and greased the mechanism properly yet, first thing i would try.

Toyota Camry - Toyota Camry '95 Drivers Elec. Window problem. - dereckr

I have no experience of this vehicle and the technician may well be right, but the first thing I would look at on a Japanese vehicle of this age would be the grease used on the drives, racks and pinions within the winder mechanism. In my experience, they use a lubricant which over time, loses its oily component and instead becomes a hard deposit which acts more like glue. Simply re-greasing it won’t work, you need to remove the old stuff, clean up with a solvent and re-lubricate. It might still be an electrical problem, but it’s worth looking at.

Edited by dereckr on 26/07/2010 at 23:39

Toyota Camry - Toyota Camry '95 Drivers Elec. Window problem. - oilrag

Hi, Eddie, Welcome to the Forum ;-)

oilrag