What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo 1.8 Petrol LX - Mondeo Clattering noise - bearing or chain? - mattwillco

Hello all,

I own a 2002 Mondeo 1.8 LX petrol with 72000m on it. Over recent weeks, a problem has developed and increased - a clattering sound has been coming from the driver's side of the engine. Though it had only shown itself following a long motorway run, it now seems to do it after all journeys, though is intermittent.

Due to trouble with starting the engine, I assumed that this may be the usual Mondeo flywheel problem (perhaps the starter motor was having metal filings chucked into it).

However, I have run it past a mechanic friend today, who purely stuck his head in the engine, not carrying out any proper investigative work. He is of the opinion that the clattering sound is either one of the bearings or the chain cam.

He says the latter is very expensive to repair.

Any ideas?!

Mathew Willcocks

Ford Mondeo 1.8 Petrol LX - Mondeo Clattering noise - bearing or chain? - elekie&a/c doctor

A clatter or rattle from the top of the engine on these is often caused by defective flaps within the inlet manifold.If the problem is left too long,the flaps disintegrate and become ingested in the engine,unfortunately with dire consequences.hth