What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 110 - Focus 1.6 TDCI Fuel Filter Replacement? - scouse_mouse

I have a 55 reg (mk II) Focus 1.6 TDCI 110.

Is it possible/wise to attempt changing the fuel filter at home or is it asking for trouble?

I do oil changes myself so am not afraid to get stuck in where possible.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 110 - Focus 1.6 TDCI Fuel Filter Replacement? - elekie&a/c doctor

Changing the filter is a fairly easy job.It comes as a complete assembly with the plastic housing.If I recall it is only available from main dealer,but this was last year.May now be bought aftermarket.The asking for trouble bit is trying to get it started after the filter has been replaced.These can be a real pig to get the fuel system bled and the engine started as there is no diesel primer system on these.hth

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 110 - Focus 1.6 TDCI Fuel Filter Replacement? - barkas

After changing the filter, spin the engine for no more than 10 seconds for each attempt to start, then pause for ten and repeat till it starts, some cars start after a few attempts but some will draw your battery right down, take the car for a run before you change the filter so the engines hot, this will ease the strain on the battery during restart...better trying to restart a hot engine than a cold one!

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 110 - Focus 1.6 TDCI Fuel Filter Replacement? - scouse_mouse

hmmm, sounds like a real pain, I think I need to give it some more thought first....