What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CR-V - Unidentified Noise on a 59 reg Honda Cr-V - tony h

I've been the satisfied owner of Cr-V's now over the last 7 years but now I've got a problem with my latest one which is a 2.2 Diesel with manual gearbox. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

The problem is a noise, almost exclusively between 1500 and 2000 rpm and when under load, that my dealer is suggesting is an induction noise i.e. the air intake for the engine. It's not really a roaring noise, more like a rushing noise. For those a bit longer in the tooth (like me!) it's very similar to the noise you could experience on very high mileage rear wheel drive vehicles from the rear axle; only it's coming from the front. In fact the noise seems to be travelling up the gear lever. I've been experiencing it since I had 500 miles on the clock but then I did pussyfoot the engine for those first 500 miles so wouldn't have experienced it before then.

As a caravanner, when driving solo it's only there when accelerating fairly hard but when towing it's very annoying. It's right in the rev range that seems to be used nearly all the time and it's always under load.

My dealer acknowledges that there is a noise but tells me there is no other cases known to Honda and is reluctant to just start slapping new bits on without knowing the cause. He's having it back in this week for more investigation but I'd like to know if the problem is unique to my vehicle or not. I have already had a test drive in a similar vehicle with 15000 miles on the clock which didn't have the noise. This was with the workshop manager in the car with me and he agreed there was definately a noise in my car which wasn't present in this one.

We've ruled out the usual problem of the rear diff fluid.

One last thing, I'm averaging about the 40mpg on solo long runs. Is anyone getting much better? I used to get 45mpg in my previous one which was an '06 reg.

Any comments or info would be gratefully received.

Edited by tony h on 06/06/2010 at 22:24

Honda CR-V - Unidentified Noise on a 59 reg Honda Cr-V - Peter.N.

I take it this is a turbo diesel in which case you shouldn't be able to hear intake roar unless there is a hole in the in the ducting somewhere, then it would be a whistle rather than a roar and would affect the performance. A rushing noise could though point to a leak in the turbo output pipe.

Without hearing it I can only suspect the gearbox, possibly the layshaft bearings, I have an XM that that is noisey over a fairly narrow rev band and does it in all gears, worse when its hot, almost quiet cold. It has done nearly 200k miles but I had another one that was still quiet at nearly 300k

Hi Peter, yes it is the turbo diesel ( i-CTDI). My concern is that it is the gearbox as you suggest. It's the dealer who thinks it's an intake noise. I think the dealer has to bite the bullet and rule it out if I'm going to keep the car.

Thanks for posting

Honda CR-V - Unidentified Noise on a 59 reg Honda Cr-V - Peter D

You say it is rpm related and load. Is it road speed related at all. I suggest the dealer disables the turbo and drives the car to see if the noise stops. Regards Peter

Hi Peter D, It has absolutely no relation to road speed. Not actually heard it in 1st gear but it's there in all the other forward gears. Very distinct between 1500 and 2000 rpm under load. It's the same noise no matter how much load, but obviously the more load the longer it takes to get through that rev range.

Not sure how you'd disable the turbo and still have the engine run properly. Anyone any ideas on this?

Dervdave, definitly not turbo whistle, at least not of the normal variety!

Honda CR-V - Unidentified Noise on a 59 reg Honda Cr-V - Peter D

The garage can disconnect the boost acuator and after testing and reconnecting they can clear the error fault that will b elogged. The turbo will still spin up but little boost so it may isolate the noise. Regards Peter

Honda CR-V - Unidentified Noise on a 59 reg Honda Cr-V - Audrey P.

I've been the satisfied owner of Cr-V's now over the last 7 years but now I've got a problem with my latest one which is a 2.2 Diesel with manual gearbox. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

The problem is a noise, almost exclusively between 1500 and 2000 rpm and when under load, that my dealer is suggesting is an induction noise i.e. the air intake for the engine. It's not really a roaring noise, more like a rushing noise. For those a bit longer in the tooth (like me!) it's very similar to the noise you could experience on very high mileage rear wheel drive vehicles from the rear axle; only it's coming from the front. In fact the noise seems to be travelling up the gear lever. I've been experiencing it since I had 500 miles on the clock but then I did pussyfoot the engine for those first 500 miles so wouldn't have experienced it before then.

As a caravanner, when driving solo it's only there when accelerating fairly hard but when towing it's very annoying. It's right in the rev range that seems to be used nearly all the time and it's always under load.

My dealer acknowledges that there is a noise but tells me there is no other cases known to Honda and is reluctant to just start slapping new bits on without knowing the cause. He's having it back in this week for more investigation but I'd like to know if the problem is unique to my vehicle or not. I have already had a test drive in a similar vehicle with 15000 miles on the clock which didn't have the noise. This was with the workshop manager in the car with me and he agreed there was definately a noise in my car which wasn't present in this one.

We've ruled out the usual problem of the rear diff fluid.

One last thing, I'm averaging about the 40mpg on solo long runs. Is anyone getting much better? I used to get 45mpg in my previous one which was an '06 reg.

Any comments or info would be gratefully received.

Though this letter was posted year ago, but despite this I hope you could give me any suggestions.

I have Honda CR-V of the same model (2.2 diesel with manual gearbox) and it makes the same noise as you described earlier between 1500 and 2000 rpm and when under load. Did you clarified the reason of this problem?

I would be grateful for any reply or suggestion.