What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Choosing a four wheel drive 4x4 - for school runs - oilrag

Two magnificent four wheel drives pulled alongside as I waited to enter the M1. The drivers (both small peas in big drums) sneared at each other from their high cabs - not noticing my small van sandwiched between them.

(Yes, I had caught the end of the school run again by setting off too early)

Perceived prestige seemed to be the thing - as they both blasted off from the lights... I really felt for them, because both vehicles, though different makes, looked the same from behind.

Massive tyres, twin exhausts - wide in the wheel base but narrow as a chicken coop in the cab area.

I meandered down the M1 at this point (getting 70mpg down to Meadowhall) and noticed the wheels and tyres on trucks. They were all narrower than on the 4x4`s - as were the wheels on a coach.

I thought - why not just fit HGV wheels on these prestige 4x4`s?

Sure, they would be narrower - and the chassis would need to be beefed up very slightly to handle them - but it seems so much the `next step`.

The step after that would be twin - in line rear axles. After dropping the child at school, the middle pair could be raised off the road to save fuel. Although prestige would be gained by being able to show that it could be afforded to keep them down.

Talk along the school drive would be along the lines of `Mine`s a 32 nutter` - meaning nuts per wheel - maybe.

Anyway, it was a nice fantasy - although I fell asleep on the sofa again at some point so am not sure if it would work.

Regards

;-)

Edited by oilrag on 27/05/2010 at 18:50

Choosing a four wheel drive 4x4 - for school runs - NowWheels

Ridiculous notion this, that a 4X4 is suitable for the skule run. As any fule knoe, a Chieftain tank is the only vehicle for the job, if you want to be sure of getting a parking space.

Choosing a four wheel drive 4x4 - for school runs - Sofa Spud

You could get one of these - an International CXT

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/trucks/IMAGES/autoshows/sema2004/international/cxt3.jpg

Believe it or not, this is a production model from a major US truck maker, not a custom conversion.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 27/05/2010 at 22:44

Choosing a four wheel drive 4x4 - for school runs - Rattle

The tyres on my Pandas are very skinny and its very refreshing, I've not once felt like I was going to loose grip and in the one time I've had to do an emergency stop the brakes were exellent.

But then I pay £30 a year for my tax, the owners of these Chelsea trucks are probably paying at least £250 and won't get any chainge from £120 a tyre.

Thankfully 4x4s seem rarer now in Manchester and the trend is certainly city cars, superminis are now the Focuses and the Focuses have replace the mondeos. The mondeos are now for the motorway league.

Choosing a four wheel drive 4x4 - for school runs - Avant

" As any fule knoe..."

Nice to know, NW, that being a fan of st. custards (Down with Skool) isn't purely a male preserve!

Now that they're all adults, i'd imagine that:

- molesworth has made a lot of money and has a 911 Turbo

- grabber the head boy has a Range Rover for mrs grabber to do the skool run in

- my grate frend peason is on his fifth Vauxhall Astra

- and if ever a man was born to drive a Nissan Micra, it's fotherington-tomas.

Choosing a four wheel drive 4x4 - for school runs - madf

Any 4x4 for school runs with an engine under 4 litres and 300bhp is inadequate..

(it allows you to escape the frequent holdups and ransom demands made every day when a gunman holds your lovely darlings to ransom.

So it's got to be a Porsche Cayenne or whatsitsname S version of course. Another lesser will saddle the brats with a lifetime inferiority complex.

Choosing a four wheel drive 4x4 - for school runs - Sofa Spud

When I was at school in the late 60's and early 70's there weren't any SUV type 4x4s, only Land Rovers. The Range Rover was launched during that period, but from what I can remember it wasn't an overnight success - they were a rare sight on the roads for their first few years. I was lucky enough to have a ride in a very early Range Rover, though, and in those days it was 'something else'.

I was a day pupil at a boys' public school. I lived nearby, so I walked to school, but there was a fair smattering of Jags, Rover 3500's, Volvo estates, a Triumph Stag, VW Campervans etc. on the school run, so nothing has changed much!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 28/05/2010 at 11:43

Choosing a four wheel drive 4x4 - for school runs - piston power

Range Rover sport is what you need with blacked out windows and also in black for the school run and why not drive the 4x4 to pick the kids maybe they need a 7 seater or just like some room to move rather than a cramped old van.