What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Name and discuss the bike quiz - oilrag

Here is a temporary pic of a bike engine - taken on our travels.

1) Name the bike

Alternatively - discuss the engine or write a short 200 word story about it`s past riders and events encountered.

Aim

General amusement - so creative writing is in.

Clue - ve hav vays of making you talk (maybe)

picasaweb.google.com/spamtrap362/Bikequiz?authkey=...8

put put put put put..............put put put...... blue smoke.....put put.

No takers?

;-)

Name and discuss the bike quiz - BorisTheSpider

It's a split single, a rather interesting design, guessing by the blue smoke comment, it will be a lovely two-stroke. I thought I might have worked it out but the frame through me.

Boris

Name and discuss the bike quiz - bathtub tom

It looks like a twin exhaust port on a conventional two-stroke. The carb, horn and that monoshock to the back end look quite modern. It's a unitary engine/gearbox, with the engine seeming to be a stressed part of the frame. The back tyre looks quite modern, although the final drive is on the 'wrong' side.

I'd have guessed a '50s Steyr or Puch initially, but think it's probably a later CZ or MZ????

Name and discuss the bike quiz - nick62

From your clue I guess it must be German, so maybe an MZ (Motorrad- und Zweiradwerk GmbH) and definitely a two-stroke?

MZ's certainly used fully enclosed RHS chain drive and the engine as stressed frame member. They also used LHS kick-starts and whilst I can't see any evidence of the actual kick-start pedal, it certainly isn't on the RHS.

It's not a split twin as there is only one spark-plug, just a single cylinder with twin exhaust ports and I'm probably totally wrong about the make?

Will post a pic of the tank tonight ;-)

Edited by oilrag on 28/05/2010 at 16:39

May I modify my answer above to CZ, (although as the name implies, this would make it Czech as opposed to German)?

Approx year 1963 / 64 and 250cc?

Sure, Nick.

I`ve added the remaining bike pics to the above link - here it is again

picasaweb.google.com/spamtrap362/Bikequiz?authkey=...#

The bike was literally window dressing in a clothes shop in Koblenz.

Any feedback on the quiz and bike would be appreciated - I can only see it on the 7" screen of the Eee Pc.

Thanks to all for participating.

Edited by oilrag on 28/05/2010 at 18:52

Like this one?

tinyurl.com/36pl9l3

Edited by bathtub tom on 28/05/2010 at 20:45

It appears to be a Victoria KR25 from approx. 1951 era.

I admit to have never heard of this type before. It appears the company was absorbed by Zweirad-Union group (MZ ?) in 1959.

www.classicmotorcycles.org.uk/bikemuseum/museum_vi...m

Thanks for the quiz OR.

Anyone notice similarities to the old Ariel Arrow/Leader?

I could just do with one of those for local runs... It did remind me of the Arrow/Leader engine Tom, with the twin pipes.

Edited by oilrag on 29/05/2010 at 08:12