What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ultraseal-tyre sealant - k9dan

Thinking of new Ford Galaxy, main problem no spare tyre, just a tyre goo kit. Found Ultraseal which goes in tyre as a preventative and is permanent rather than usual goo which is a temp fix. Claims easy to wash out if needed. Looks just what I need, anyone got knowledge of this stuff. Looks a lot more advanced than the usual after burst sealer.

Ultraseal-tyre sealant - Geordie1

I had Ultraseal applied to my motorcycle tyres in 2004...no problems whatsoever, still using same tyres which are tubed and have had no punctures to date.

Ultraseal-tyre sealant - Avant

It's probably OK if you get a nail in the tyre, but still doesn't help if something has made a great gouge in it, or if a pothole has buckled the wheel.

There's no substitute for a spare wheel - preferably full-size, but even a space-saver is better than nothing.

Peter's story on the other current thread on this subject is worth reading if you're in any doubt about this.

Ultraseal-tyre sealant - k9dan

Hi Avant, I'm with you a spare wheel is best, but not an option on new Galaxy, no underfloor storage, fancy foldaway seats go there, so was thinking laterally how best to get around it, also looked at Hyundai i800, but think any spares would be very high compared to Galaxy.

Ultraseal-tyre sealant - piston power

Don't buy anything with no spare wheel your asking for trouble as said above ultraseal is ok for a nail but nothing else and if you have to call out the breakdown services just for a flat it's stupid walk away plenty more with one.

Ultraseal-tyre sealant - c-lant

NO tyre sealant is regarded as a permanment repair, a permanment repair is to bs159 where tyre is taken off and examined for secondary damage and vulcanised with a mushroom type patch, reason for mushroom plug is the stem fills hole in tyre tread to prevent ingress of water which could lead to separation of plies etc etc, Tyre depots dont like handling tyres with tyre sealant because it is messy as goes over the equipment also under heaalth and safety can refuse as no COSH certificate. Also having to wash the tyre out and dry it completely is time consuming which the consumer is reluctant to pay for...

Ultraseal-tyre sealant - bobh

Having used ultraseal in my motorcycles for some time i have found it to be a reliable repair that lasts and ideal seeing as bikes don't have a facility for a spare wheel. As for the issue of having to clear out the goo when replacing the tyre I have never had a tyre fitter complain about it. Providing you tell him it is in the tyre he can handle it carefully. If it isn't thrown about when removed the goo will stay within the tyre. As for COSHH issues lets be realistic. Its not flammable so no fire risk. Are you going to injest it, probably not unless you put it in your sandwiches. Get it in your eyes, its water based so can be rinshed out. Contact with the skin, should be wearing gloves and overalls anyway if you are a tyre fitter. If the tyre is shreaded then yes you need another tyre, but as a fix for usual punctures it is ideal especially if the car has no room for a spare as seems to be the developing trend with manufactures. I am going to use it in my Mazda 6 which has no room for a space saver . I could pay a grand for 4 run flats which aren't repairable and can still be shreaded like a standard tyre anyway. Ultraseal for me every time.

Ultraseal-tyre sealant - Mr Safety

Thinking of new Ford Galaxy, main problem no spare tyre, just a tyre goo kit. Found Ultraseal which goes in tyre as a preventative and is permanent rather than usual goo which is a temp fix. Claims easy to wash out if needed. Looks just what I need, anyone got knowledge of this stuff. Looks a lot more advanced than the usual after burst sealer.

I tried this "Tyreseal" last week. I had some spare sealant at the end of the installation so I decided to put in an old wheel to test it. It was easy enough to do. I then put around 450ml in an old 17" tyre, rolled it around for abit and then went to work on it with a hammer and nail. result? there was a little air hissing and then nothing! Honestly I really dont know why nobody is using this stuff!?

The rest of this post has been removed because it looks very much like an advert. WKS

Edited by WellKnownSid on 09/06/2011 at 07:23

Ultraseal-tyre sealant - Andy P

My concern is that you wouldn't know if you've actually got/had a puncture. I don't find the ideal of driving along at 70mph with a tyre that only remains inflated thanks to some gunk in the hole. I'd prefer to know so I can get it repaired properly.

Ultraseal-tyre sealant - Collos25

It will not protect or repair a shredded tyre at 03.00am on wet night in the middle of nowhere as happened to me in hire car..

Ultraseal-tyre sealant - galileo

It will not protect or repair a shredded tyre at 03.00am on wet night in the middle of nowhere as happened to me in hire car..

Bro-in-law has had two tyre failures this year; his nice new Renault Megane is blessed with pressure sensing tyre valves and a can of foam instead of any spare wheel.

He found the foam useless for the first incident, large split in sidewall. Second time was Bank Holiday Monday, replacement tyre not in stock, so not fixed till Tuesday.

" No spare " cars seem to be a triumph of marketing over common sense, what can you put in the space a spare would occupy which is more useful?

Ultraseal-tyre sealant - Mr Safety

Duplicated post

Edited by WellKnownSid on 09/06/2011 at 07:21

Ultraseal-tyre sealant - Collos25

Thats a blatant advert for the rubbish and should be removed

Ultraseal-tyre sealant - gordonbennet
Oh yes how safe and cuddly you'll feel as your loved ones drive along with a nail embedded in the shoulder of the tread, it'll be wonderful, they won't have to stop in fact they may never know the tyre had a nail as the leak has been stopped.

Until that nail cuts steadily through the sidewall reinforcements with every revolution as the tyre flexes, 100 miles later that tyre goes bang, the whole sidewall blowing out.

A tyre that's been damaged by penetration should be removed and examined internally by someone who knows what they are doing, preferably a repair pro not a tyre fitter.
Ultraseal-tyre sealant - WellKnownSid

Two identical posts four hours apart from the same new user... looks very much like an advert so removed.

Ultraseal-tyre sealant - captain chaos

Space saver spares are better than a can of silly string but

Where do you put the road wheel the width of a cricket pitch roller you have just removed if the boot is full of luggage? On the front seat passenger's lap?

IIRC the space saver was first introduced as an option in the USA in the early seventies. They are standard equipment now but at least you get the option of a full size spare. Why can't they do that here instead of the like it or lump it attitude of european manufacturers? Perhaps they know best?

The customer is always right.