What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda FR-V 3+3 MPV - Automatic Wipers - sensitivity adjustment? - Archie35

Good evening!

I've got a Honda FRV which is nearing the end of its warranty period. By and large it has been very good, but there are a couple of minor niggles which I would ideally like fixed before the warranty expires. The first, and most irritating, relates to the automatic wipers. Even with the sensitivity dial on the indicator arm permanently turned up to maximum, the wipers work really badly in motorway spray or fine mist - they just sit there, NOT wiping the windscreen, often letting it get so covered with spray that it is impossible to see through without turning the wipers fully on. Under these circumstances, "fully on" is often too quick, so one ends up driving for ages flicking the wipers on and off every couple of seconds.

Both times that I have had the car serviced I have complained about this, and both times the garage claims they have tested the sensitivity and that "it works fine" - but it has been clear from discussion that all they have done is to spray water on to the sensor, and, as the droplets from the spray-gun are much larger than motorway spray, it works fine in the garage - but still fails to work in motorway spray. I have, however, recently moved house and so will be using a new dealer soon. My question is therefore: Is it possible for a dealer to either adjust the sensitivity software, or to replace the sensor altogether, to get the auto wipers working propely (and safely)? And is this a reasonable thing to demand under warranty?

Many thanks,

"Archie"

ps - the other niggle, in case anyone is wondering, is that the traffic announcements on the radio very rarely kick in, whereas in other cars, at the same time of day (on the M25 in the rushhour) the announcements never stop. Should Honda also be able to fix this?