What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus II - Please recommend best garage in/near north London - Chris Adam

Hi all

Okay, so no-one replied after the petrol cap door of my Focus was broken off (http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=82387), but I hope that some of you can help with this simple query. (Moderator please note I had to register a new account as I could not locate my old one.)

I have a black Ford Focus LX 1.6 petrol (2006 06 reg). Recently the car has begun to stall frequently when idle (e.g. at traffic lights) and the rev counter (tachometer) keeps dropping below 1000 rpm. (Also when driving it sometimes feels as if something is exerting a 'braking force' on the engine and the car could stall at any second, but the problem is worse when idle.)

The engine warning light (orange) has come on and generally stays on (while driving), but sometimes disappears for long periods of time.

1. Do you have any recommendations for good garages in or near north London for engine repairs? I live near Wood Green (Haringey) but can travel up to 25 miles or so if you think the garage is worth it. I would prefer an independent garage rather than a main Ford dealer. (Equally, please feel free to suggest any garages to avoid!)

2. I would like the car to have a full service, so if the repair is included in the service, so much the better. The car was serviced at main Ford dealers for the past 2 years by the previous owner but this time I would prefer an independent garage.

3. The car also has a small dent (and damage to the paintwork) on the rear nearside, caused by someone hitting my car when parked and not leaving a note (don't you just hate them?), but I am not sure whether to get this repaired as it would probably just happen again as I have to park on the road outside my home.

So in short, please let me have your recommendations for the best independent garages in or near north London for servicing and engine repairs (possibly including bodywork).

Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions!

Ford Focus II - Please recommend best garage in/near north London - LikedDrivingOnce

Hi Chris. Not a Ford man (yet) myself, but SiL lives in Wood Green, near the Palace, and drives a Fiesta.

She got a new one last year from Dagenham Motors on Great Cambridge Road, and can't recommend their servicing department, I'm afraid. (Not following instructions, not ringing back, giving erroneous feedback).

One to avoid, IMHO.

Hi LikedDrivingOnce - (I know the feeling; I still enjoy driving but my username should perhaps be UsedToEnjoyDrivingMuchMore.) Thanks for advising me to avoid Dagenham Motors on Great Cambridge Road (Enfield main dealer I think). I am seeking a good independent garage in any case, but it's always good to know people's experiences of main dealers and I may well end up at one (though not if I can help it).

Ford Focus II - Please recommend best garage in/near north London - smilleynially

Hi Chris,

It might be a little way for you but I highly recommend 'Elite Autos' over in Pinner, NW London.

It's run and owned by a mechanic called Raj. I've been using him for many years. Highly competent, professional and reasonably priced labour rate.

eliteautos.biz/

In respect to the small dent, If it's susceptible to rust then get it fixed before it causes more problems, otherwise leave it and fix it, if it's worth it, when you come round to selling the car.

Cheers,

Nial

Hi Nial - Thanks for your recommendation. Pinner is not too far and I may give Elite Autos a call this week. Worth getting a quote at least. By the way, is your car a Ford or something else? Thanks also for the very good advice about the dent.

Any other recommendations for good independent garages in or within 20 or so miles of north London - perhaps from Ford Focus owners - will be welcomed.

Ford Focus II - Please recommend best garage in/near north London - smilleynially

Hello Chris,

I now live in Waterloo but still travel out to PInner to use that garage. That kinda says it all! :-)

My current car is a Mondeo MKIII, he repaired/serviced my previous MKII Mondy before that as well as Renault/Peugeout/Vauxhall before I became a Ford man.

He'll know his way around your Focus no probs...

Nial

Ford Focus II - Please recommend best garage in/near north London - jira

Hi there Nial,

I am now having problems with my Fiesta and I am looking for an independent garage. Quick question about your recommendation about Elite (as it has been 3 years since the post): do you still go there?

Thanks,

Jira

Ford Focus II - Please recommend best garage in/near north London - Avant

Nial hasn't posted on here since 2011 so probably won't see this.

But my advice to look at the Good Garage Guide still stands!

Ford Focus II - Please recommend best garage in/near north London - Avant

Try clicking on Good Garages above and see what there is in your area.