Small hatch decision - Herr Sandwichmann

My mother in law is looking to replace her current motor with a new or very recent s/h model (ie 59 plate) and she's narrowed the choice down to the following:

Vauxhall Corsa

Honda Jazz

Ford Fiesta

VW Polo

Must be 1.4 ish engine and must be petrol. She'll be doing a lot of travelling from the W Mids to the SWof England. If I take purchase cost out of the equation what would fellow back-roomers go for? Cheers, HS

Small hatch decision - Clk Sec

Guten Tag

I have not driven any of them, but based on the Honda reputation for reliability, and the number of mature folk in my own neighbourhood who drive them, it would be the Jazz for me.

Clk Sec

Small hatch decision - WellKnownSid

Test driven the new Fiesta - very nice car, very refined, think it's a bit pricey, but being Ford I'm sure there's now plenty of deals for nearly new.

We were going to look at the Polo, but walked into the Skoda showroom first and walked out with a new Fabia. Worth considering too perhaps.

I've had the Corsa many times as a hire car. Don't like the 'electronic stalks' - much prefer stalks that move and stick where you've moved them to.

Never tried the Honda, heard they were very good.

Cost out of the equation? I use to own a Puma back in '97 - lovely car. The Fiesta we test drove had many of the same qualities, and more - I just couldn't mentally justify the 3k+ (euros) extra above the Fabia for what was the 'school run' car. My heart would probably pick the Fiesta...

Small hatch decision - retgwte

driven lots of hire car corsa and fiestas, they are both useless

the others i wont comment

talk some sense into her and get her a fiat panda or suzuki swift

Small hatch decision - Herr Sandwichmann
Thanks for your replies.

regtwe - what caused you to decide that the Corsa/Fiesta were useless? Dont think I can persuade her to look at Panda/Fabia, but Swift maybe.

HS
Small hatch decision - Avant

I'd say it's between the Jazz and the Polo.

The Corsa is very pedestrian to drive - feel-less steering, soggy handling and unenthusiastic pick-up from rest.

Fiesta - by all accounts great to drive but the rear visibility is so poor as to be almost dangerous.

New Polo - well reviewed and if it feels likre a mini-Golf, as testers say, that's a very good thing.

Jazz - less of an enthusiast's car than Fiesta or Polo but lively enough with the bigger engine (1339 cc but spuriously called a 1.4). Lots of room, verstaile seating and luggage space and easier for an elderly person to get in and out of (is MIL in that category, or perhaps wants to keep the car for a long time?).

If she can afford it, a Jazz or Polo would be better bought new (they hold their value well), a Ford or Vauxhall secondhand. I too would add the Fabia to the list (VW mechanicals and most models are cheaper than VWs) and also he Toyota Yaris, provided you go for the 1.3. Less versatile than a Jazz but (What Car disagrees with me but that's because it's not a BMW) lively and good to drive. My elder daughter is on her fourth Yaris.