What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2.0TDCi vs 1.8TDCi, 1.8 nicer.... - arnold2
Well, I am going to be a bit of a heretic here, because the general wisdom is that the newer Peugeot 2.0TDCi is nice than the 'old' 1.8TDCi, but I have just test-drove a low-mileage 2.0TDCi, and, erm, sorry, this is an inferior engine!

OK, hit your foot down in 4th & above, it does have a bit more shove, but:
The 1.8 is far nicer 1st-3rd - a real surprise to me - the 2.0 is really gutless, not unless you really hammer the throttle. And at speed, the throttle response of the 1.8 is nicer, for normal driving - you really have to shove your foot down in the 2.0, and it's not that linear.

The only place I would prefer the 2.0TDCi, is 80mph+ on the motorway! Oh, and it's no more quieter or refined, either ....

Just thought I'd post this up - real world driving vs test!

Edited by Pugugly on 30/01/2010 at 16:44

Focus II, 2.0TDCi vs 1.8TDCi, 1.8 nicer.... - Old Navy
I suspect you had a duff 2.0. I have driven both, 2.0 every time for me. If it was low mileage the engine would be "tight".

Edited by Old Navy on 30/01/2010 at 16:48

Focus II, 2.0TDCi vs 1.8TDCi, 1.8 nicer.... - cheddar
While I agree that the 2.0 should at least compare for refinement and should be superior in "shove" and therefore the one you drove may not have been tip-top, the 1.8 belies its ancestry by being a very refined and well manored diesel, superior perhaps to the "newer" 1.6.

Focus II, 2.0TDCi vs 1.8TDCi, 1.8 nicer.... - arnold2
Obviously it would be interesting to try a new 2.0TDCi, but certainly I find the 1.8 to be very refined, and generally nicer to drive, being very tractable - like I said, exactly against the sort of reviews I have read...
Focus II, 2.0TDCi vs 1.8TDCi, 1.8 nicer.... - ifithelps
arnold,

Sounds like the ".0 you drove was suffering from 'loose turbo intercooler hose syndrome' - a known fault introduced to mine by a Ford dealer, but that's another story.

Symptoms are as you describe, flat performance, but no misfire or lumpiness.

I've now done a good few miles pulled along by both engines, and the 2.0 is better in every respect, with the possible exception of fuel economy.

I suggest you try another 2.0 before deciding.

Focus II, 2.0TDCi vs 1.8TDCi, 1.8 nicer.... - daveyjp
I currently have a Mondeo 2.0TDCi auto courtesy car and TBH I think it's a rough old beast, especially round town. It doesn't change gear until about 2,500 revs - nearer 3,000 when it's cold and it sounds terrible.

It has only done 3,000 miles, but on tickover you can't hide what is powering it. A lot of noise in the cabin and vibration through the steering wheel.
Focus II, 2.0TDCi vs 1.8TDCi, 1.8 nicer.... - Old Navy
I currently have a Mondeo 2.0TDC

Totaly different engine, the Focus has a joint Ford/PSA engine, Type DW10 BTED4.

Edited by Old Navy on 30/01/2010 at 20:38

Focus II, 2.0TDCi vs 1.8TDCi, 1.8 nicer.... - cheddar
Totaly different engine the Focus has a joint Ford/PSA engine Type DW10 BTED4.

Depends, Mondeo MkIII auto diesels were made for a short while around 03 / 04 though if it is a Mondeo MkIV then it is the Peugeot/Ford engine. Should be changing up at around 2000 in normal driving.