What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
"Spontaenous Fire" - BobbyG
Sister has a diesel Galaxy, had been parked up in her driveway unused from the Friday as she has broken her ankle.

On the Monday, her neighbour spotted smoke coming out the back and managed to put a fire out. From the photos she sent it looks like wiring somewhere at the back.

Anyone know of any possible ideas of what could have caused it, have googled and found some issues with engine fires but nothing in boot areas?

I know vague but just wondering if any known issues?

"Spontaenous Fire" - Dave_TD
Just some thoughts:

Does it have a towbar?

Could it be something to do with the DPF (I don't know if these are at the fuel tank end on th Galaxy?)

Some connection with ambient temperature going above freezing for the first time in a few days, possibly?

Or does she live in a particularly ropey neighbourhood? I once had some kids knock on my door to tell me that my compost bin was on fire, it soon became clear they had lit it...

Lucky it wasn't in a garage attached to the house.
Dave, it does have a towbar, fitted at the dealer when car was brand new and has never been used. And it wasn't in a garage as they don't have one, but it was reversed up the driveway , about 6 feet or so from the house itself!
It is the new style Galaxy and my initial suspicions are maybe rodent activity if car hadn't moved for 4 days. Don't know how mice etc are affected during the cold spell though - maybe they were just using wires to floss their teeth!!!
"Spontaenous Fire" - Altea Ego
what is it with your family and fires? you are all pyromanics.
"Spontaenous Fire" - theterranaut
Kids? Airdrie can be a tough old place...
"Spontaenous Fire" - brum
Mk1 an Mk2 diesel galaxys (the ones that look like vw sharans) have a diesel powered booster heater mounted underneath in front of the nearside rear wheel. A few vehicles were fitted with an optional programmable timer control module that allows this heater to fire up without the engine being started. (Mainly for the scandanavian market).

Also they have a known problem with wiring looms deteriorating with age - the insulation goes brittle and breaks , which can expose the copper cores. This is particularly common in the rubber gaitors to the doors and the tailgate.
"Spontaenous Fire" - Dave_TD
problem with wiring looms deteriorating with age - the insulation goes brittle and breaks , which can expose the copper cores

I had that some years ago on a 10-year-old Fiat Panda - the number plate light wasn't working and on inspection the wires to it (mounted in back bumper) had almost completely turned to dust. Bit of a difference between a mid-80s Fiat and a 90s Galaxy though, I would have thought.

Edited by Dave_TD {P} on 20/01/2010 at 22:56

"Spontaenous Fire" - bell boy
if its a galaxy maybe it was doing the darkroom test?
(you have to be an age to understand that one)
"Spontaenous Fire" - Falkirk Bairn
Kids? Airdrie can be a tough old place...

I don't know exactly how rough it is in Airdrie but I was told the Police Dogs go around in pairs and the Iraq bound SAS do their final training against a local football team!

Only joking
Who said it was Airdrie.... 2+2=5 :)
AE, worse than that is that she buys more junk from Aldi and Lidl than I do. That is why she had a wall mounted fire extinguisher in her kitchen that she was able to use to put the fire out!
Unfortunately I showed up my true colours. I got told that she had broken her ankle whilst watching a keep fit dvd and after peeing myself laughing I asked her how the car was and forgot to ask how the ankle was!
She had a rant at me to make sure I had an extinguisher in my house but I told her when I do fires, I do fires!
"Spontaenous Fire" - seasiders rock
I agree pyromania is a burning issue . Wheres my coat........