What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
00 1.25 Overheating but cools down when heaters on - looby
I am having an absolute nightmare with my Fiesta, really hope someone can help!!

My car started overheating (going into the red) a while ago and loosing water. Got it checked out and had a new thermostat put in and radiator flushed (incase of any air locks). That seemed to stop the problem for a while. Now its started overheating but cooling down and staying at a constant temp (smack bang in the middle) when the heaters are on full blast. It isnt loosing water, its been preasure tested and has no leaks, the fan is cutting in and working fine.

Cant think what else it could be!!! Any infor would be much appreciated!!
00 1.25 Overheating but cools down when heaters on - bell boy
the pipes at the heater valve might be gunged up
you really need to take this valve off and check the pipes out,be careful they go brittle with age though
00 1.25 Overheating but cools down when heaters on - SteveLee
Very likely to be a sticking/stuck closed thermostat.
00 1.25 Overheating but cools down when heaters on - SteveLee
Opps sorry should have read the thread more carefully!
00 1.25 Overheating but cools down when heaters on - Peter.N.
If its done a high mileage it could be that the radiator is furred up, a replacement is the only real cure for that. Is the cooling fan working? If not that would cause it to everheat in traffic but not when you are doing a reasonable speed. Does the radiator get hot? If not you still have thermostat problems.
It has done a fair few miles, about 140,000. The fan is cutting in and it only really starts when pushing it hard (I don alot of motorway driving). The radiators getting hot too, in reply to the other posts ive checked the pipes and no clogging or corroding. Is there anyway of checking the radiator is furred up?
yes
engine off fan off but everything nice and hot
run the palm of your hand round all the face of the radiator
(it will be easiest if you unclip carefully the grille ,these go brittle so be careful)
you are looking for cold spots which would say radiator partially blocked
About the right mileage for a new radiator to be due.
00 1.25 Overheating but cools down when heaters on - mickeybo
You can't really flush a radiater or a heater matrix as the build up of hard crud within
severely restricts the circulation which no amount of flushing will shift. A simple test
with engine idling and holding hand on top radiator and other hand on radiator bottom
hose vehicle at standstill if theres a restriction of flow your top hose will get much
warmer than your lower radiater hose I would go along with Peter n's radiator
thiery Best Reguards Mickey BO
Right..radiator checked, no blockages or furryness, water pump checked, working fine, pressure tested, no leaks, not losing water, thermostat, new, the top hose coming out of the radiator is luke warm and the bottom one is cold and there seems to be some bubbling noise coming from the hoses near the heater control valve and header tank. Could it need a new heater control valve? although the heaters work fine and blow hot and cold?

i think i said you need to check the pipes here for blocking gunge
i had to do the wifes only last year i couldnt believe the rubbish in the pipes blocking the flow
If the top hose to the radiator isn't getting hot, either your new thermostat is faulty or the pump is not circulating the water. Can you see any movement of water inthe header tank with the engine running?
I had a look at the fan belt and it had a crack in it, I have replaced it and it seems to be working ok and not overheating. Fingers crossed, problem solved!!
Must have been slipping then, that's an unusual one.