Starting a car in -12c temperature - Rattle
Well not quiet, I have been starting my car every few days and its turning over in less than a second. Pretty amazing considering the battery and coil pack are from 1999.

My question is if I started tomorrow after a -12c freeze am I likely to cause damage if any of the coolant has frozen? I am not convinced I have enough anti freeze in to cope with -12c :(

Edited by Rattle on 06/01/2010 at 23:51

Starting a car in -12c temperature - Blue {P}
Most anti-freeze is good down to about -30 or -40 so unless your's has been leaking lots and then topped up with pure water it should be absolutely fine.

You do worry about the strangest things :-)
Starting a car in -12c temperature - Lygonos
The car wont be as cold as ambient temperature, but might be worth removing the rad cap - if it's not crystallised should be fine
I had my coolent changed in the summer, when I had a free vauxhall health check in October they told me the coolant was weak. I put some in a couple of weeks ago but I didn't know how much to put in so no idea what the strength of it was.

Starting a car in -12c temperature - 1400ted
Hi Rats. Hope you're getting better.
I'm not too familiar with the Corsa engine but if your water pump runs off the cambelt and is frozen up then it may/will strip the belt.
Best to have check before you even put the key in. Squeeze the top and bottom hoses, if they won't squeeze or if you get a crunching feel then they're probably frozen. If they feel normal then you're probably OK. Look in where you top up the coolant as well.
I've dealt with a few frozens...with a pump on the alternator belt, it squeals like mad when you start it. Just ' ping ' the belt off and run it for a few minutes, it generally thaws out without any damage.
Sometimes a Welch or Core plug will blow out if it's iced up. You can usually see that.

Ted
Its a chain driven engine so the water pump will be driven of the altnerator belt. Will check the core plugs and the tubes, its a good tip.

My bonnet has about 4 inches of snow on it, so hopefully that is keeping the engine warmer. It has no blanket though.

I am getting better but my arm is still bent, I won't be able to drive till the 21st at the earliest when I see the doctor.

Will also add some coolent to my dads car tomorrow.
Starting a car in -12c temperature - Harleyman
I really wouldn't bother starting it up every couple of days if I were you. you'll take far more out of your battery than you put in, and it really won't do your engine any good. If you're not going to be driving it for a couple of weeks, far better to remove the battery and hook it up to an Optimate or similar, the battery being the bit that will let you down before the rest of the car in this weather, give that you take good care of it.

Realistically, by the time you're fit to drive this lot should have melted away anyway.
Starting a car in -12c temperature - Dynamic Dave
and it really won't do your engine any good.

Or the exhaust as it won't get hot enough to dry it out and will start rotting from the inside out.
It never does anyway, all my car is does is 3 miles in traffic. Stop for two hours. Start, stop, start,stop.

My exhaust is already rotten and its only 6 months old, but they cost £40 including fitting so its not too bad.

Before Christmas and before my accident I was starting my engine 10 times a day at one point due to all the zig zagging around. That was extreme though, four times a day was much more normal.

Its one reason I am glad I have old car due to all the abuse I give the poor old engine.

Edited by Rattle on 07/01/2010 at 00:34

Starting a car in -12c temperature - Blue {P}
My big lumbering V6 starts easily after 3 or 4 weeks standing idle, I'm sure the Corsa will manage it. Just leave it alone and chill out, focus on your recovery! :-)

Think of it this way, if you don't start it in -12 degree weather then you don't need to worry about harming it! (and by starting it constantly in ANY weather you are certainly doing more harm than good)

Once it's warmer if you really think your coolant is weak then get it changed. If it's been changed already this year (and you know that it was really done properly) then ignore what Vauxhall say. Coolant doesn't "go off" in the space of a year and assuming that it hasn't been leaking and then getting topped up with water it will be fine.

My coolant freezing honestly wouldn't even cross my mind and not that I want to worry you further but... if it's frozen solid in your block then the engine is probably already cracked. :-)
Starting a car in -12c temperature - Jcoventry
I'm in a similar situation, as my car is only really used for short journeys. I have no idea how much the battery is charged, but I haven't had any problems yet. During these Winter months I usually need a lot of stuff sucking power straight away, like heated windscreen, rear heated window, heated mirrors, fan on speed 3 or 4 all at the same time. So far its never given me any trouble being used like this, even after weeks or months since the last long journey. But once the weather clears up I am tempted to give it a good long run, 30 or 40 miles on the motorway, maybe a bit of the Italian tune-up. :D
Starting a car in -12c temperature - cheddar
>>considering the battery and coil pack are from 1999.>>

1999, that not exactly the, er, ice age!

;-)

Starting a car in -12c temperature - perro
Ah! Anti Frrrreeze, now there's a question ... chap on the local radio t'other day, who owns a couple of garages and the largest recovery outfit in the area sez he's had 3 cracked injuns in this week alone :(
Halfords sell anti-freeze testers btw.
Starting a car in -12c temperature - bathtub tom
I check mine each year by syphoning a little out into something like a yoghurt pot and leaving it in the freezer overnight - annoys SWMBO no end. The freezer should be around -20C. If it's still liquid, then I reckon it's fine.

However, if the stuff in the radiator's too solid to syphon any out, then you've probably got trouble.

A blanket will do no more than ensuring everything's kept nicely damp.
Starting a car in -12c temperature - bell boy
Halfords sell anti-freeze testers btw.
>
>>>>>> yes but they need feeding and would hog the spare bedroom,best to just have your antifreeze checked if unsure,unfortunately the old 3 balls in a tube dont work on the modern red stuff as should be fitted to the rattlemobile you need a refractor and even i havent bought one of these yet but seeing as the ice age has returned looks im going to have to
>>> the old 3 balls in a tube dont work on the modern red stuff <<<

I didn't know that belle buoy - Well Done that man!
Starting a car in -12c temperature - old crocks
>>> the old 3 balls in a tube dont work on the modern red stuff

New to me too. Another old tool for the bin.
Starting a car in -12c temperature - madf
It was -17C here last night. SWMBO switched on the 106, left the glow plug heater light to go out and it started first time (as always).

Simples..

( A new battery 2 years ago helped. And OA antifreeze 40% mix...)
Starting a car in -12c temperature - DP
The Golf fired up on 3 this morning (-11 degrees C) and clattered and smoked for a second or so before settling to its normal tractor-like idle. Might need a glowplug or two.

The Volvo gave a little fanbelt type squeal for a fraction of a second when it first fired, but otherwise it was the same as starting it on a summer morning.

I love modern cars.
"
I love modern cars."

I never had problems with old cars. Good battery and charging system and get the points/timing right. But Fords of the 1960s were pigs to start in cold iirc.

But I agree. Modern electronics and fuel systems are great..
Damp affects a vehicles starting ability far more than low temperatures ever did, but, - I'm talking from a petrol heads point of view.
Starting a car in -12c temperature - galileo
"
I love modern cars."
I never had problems with old cars. Good battery and charging system and get the
points/timing right. But Fords of the 1960s were pigs to start in cold iirc.
But I agree. Modern electronics and fuel systems are great..
In the cold winter of 1962/3 I resorted to dribbling ether into the air cleaner which gave a quick start with the occasional spectacular flashback.

(Was Easy Start available then, I don't recall seeing it on the shelves?)
Other tricks were cooking spark plugs for a few minutes and kettles of hot water over inlet manifolds, not often needed with modern cars, thankfully.

Starting a car in -12c temperature - cockle {P}
"
I love modern cars."
I never had problems with old cars. Good battery and charging system and get the
points/timing right. But Fords of the 1960s were pigs to start in cold iirc

Hadn't realised until seeing this that the one thing that's been missing out of this 'old-style' winter is that morning chorus of the starter motor continually churning a non-starter until, slowly, surely, it slowed gently to halt as the battery died only to be repeated 30 seconds later by another forlorn attempt followed shortly after by the slamming of a door as the protagonist retreats, cursing, indoors for a phone and a cup of tea..........

Who says things aren't better today; well, some, anyway!
Starting a car in -12c temperature - the swiss tony
Hadn't realised until seeing this that the one thing that's been missing out of this
'old-style' winter is that morning chorus of the starter motor continually churning a non-starter until slowly surely it slowed gently to halt as the battery died only to be repeated
30 seconds later by another forlorn attempt followed shortly after by the slamming of a
door as the protagonist retreats cursing indoors for a phone and a cup of tea..........

The ONLY car I have had that happen with - was a Mk3 Cav - yes fuel inj, and leccy ign... all my carbbed/pointed Fords ALWAYS started 1st or 2nd turn of the key, seems if I looked after them, they would always look after me!
Starting a car in -12c temperature - L'escargot
But Fords of the 1960s were pigs to start in cold iirc.

I never had any problems with my 1960s Fords that scheduled maintenance didn't take care of.
Starting a car in -12c temperature - Peter S
I have an old (1988) E30 BMW 325i Touring that I bought around 3 years ago as a bit of fun. It hasn't been used since the beginning of December. I used it today as I couldn't open the door on my A4 Cabriolet.

It started first time, and caused me no problems driving over the icy minor roads of W Sussex. In fact, a bit of RWD action at low speeds is quite fun!! It has heated seats, ABS and an intensive screenwash system which worked fine at -8C... And cost less than the metallic paint option on the A4 :-)

I honestly wouldn't worry about a Corsa...well, not because of the weather ;-)

Peter
Starting a car in -12c temperature - boxsterboy
I wonder how the batteries on those 'wonderful' G-Wiz 'cars' fare in -12c. (snigger, snigger)?

Starting a car in -12c temperature - Victorbox
Rattle - you worry too much! I've owned numerous Vauxhalls over the years and none has been a poor starter in the cold. The original Vauxhall batteries usually last past 12 years old. Proper servicing including antifreeze changes every 4 or 5 years of course. My daughter's 10 year old Corsa B is of a similar vintage to yours but having sat for a week on the drive covered in snow, she & I expect it to start first time on the weekend.
Starting a car in -12c temperature - bristol01
This has got me thinking - in countries where it routinely gets REALLY cold, is the antifreeze added to engines of a different strength?
Starting a car in -12c temperature - old crocks
Yes. And in this country manuals and bottle of antifreeze give different strengths for different minimum temperatures.

Edited by old crocks on 07/01/2010 at 18:04

Starting a car in -12c temperature - Cliff Pope
Remember that old publicity stunt where they left a Morris Minor in a deep freeze, pushed it out covered in frost, and it started first time?

An aunt told me that in bad Oregan winters they used to drain the engine oil out while it was hot, leave the can on the stove overnight, then pour the hot oil back in before starting the following morning. Failure to do this meant the oil was as thick as grease, and the only recourse was to light a fire under the sump.

But don't worry Rattle, all the vehicles I have owned made since 1947 have all started first time in any weather. A properly adjusted engine in good condition with a decent battery will always start.
In 1941 when the Germans invaded Russia, starting tank engines in winter proved impossible due to extreme cold. Favourite trick was to place a tray of petrol under the engine and light it..

(They had other issues with tracks jammed with frozen mud etc.. but a different story.)..
Starting a car in -12c temperature - sandy56
I have lived in Northern Norway and the only thing we did in winter was jump in and start it.

Obviously the car has to be in reasonable condition battery electrics etc but Im assuming thats the case because if you dont maintain your car then sorry but you pays your money and etc etc

Starting a car in -12c temperature - David Horn
Started my car in -18, never been a problem. Always put my foot on the clutch, though everyone should be doing that regardless of the OAT.
Just started it, started instantly left engine running for 15 minutes to normal temperature so it looks like the cold hasn't caused any problems.

I also went through the gears can could manage, I think I may be fit enough to start driving in a weeks time.
Starting a car in -12c temperature - L'escargot
Just started it started instantly left engine running for 15 minutes to normal temperature .......

Starting an engine and just letting it idle is the recipe for more than normal wear. You should start it and drive off as soon as possible.
Its a bit difficult with with only one hand though! I agree if I was doing this daily, but once every 9 days is not really going to do any harm.

The car is used for mainly short journeys anyway so the engine is probably already very miserable.