What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
99 2.0 Rear wheel bearing stuck in hub - stuartl
I cannot get the outer part of the bearing out of the hub. (the car has discs all round) I have tried drifting it out with a suitable sized socket, applying heat and pressing it out using a vice but it wont shift. Any ideas? The really stupid thing is that I have the car immobile on the drive blocking my van in so I cant go anywhere until I get this sorted!!

Edited by stuartl on 03/01/2010 at 13:25

99 2.0 Rear wheel bearing stuck in hub - Peter.N.
You need a welder. Run a ring of weld around the inside of the outer bearing, when it cools it will shrink, should come out easily then.
99 2.0 Rear wheel bearing stuck in hub - zookeeper
did you remove the circlip
Mmm the welding is an interesting idea, might try that in the morning before I take the trip to my local friendly garage to get them to press it out, yes I did remove the circlip but boy is that so tight in there. I have a very large bench vice which I used with a large socket and actually bent the handle on the vice still to no avail!
You will be amazed how loose the bearing is after the welding, I have removed many that way.
99 2.0 Rear wheel bearing stuck in hub - mikej
I spent a couple of hours (even enlisting the help of an experienced amateur mechanic friend) trying to do exactly the same thing before I gave up and took it to a local garage who pressed it out for me in a matter of minutes.

My advice would be to take the hub down to a local garage - they should only charge you a nominal fee for a few minutes work.

More details here : www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=63...7

Incidently - the UniPart bearing I fitted only lasted approx. 18 months IIRC. When the other side went, I used a Ford bearing instead.
I was going to try the welding route but when I went to the mig it was out of gas! I took it to my normal garage and yes, 2-3 minutes and the old one was out and the new one in again! He didnt even want anything for doing it but I gave him a tenner as it was a huge help to me.
Glad you got it sorted. Don't know if a MIG would apply enough metal, I have always used a stick welder.