What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
01 2.0 Coil Springs Keep Breaking - Braveheart2009
Hi,

Does anyone else have the problem regularly. This is my second time my front coil springs have broken? We do have allot of pot holes in Glasgow, but my drivers side spring was broken and a hassle to replace now my passenger side spring looks like its buckled or bent. I had a flat tyre, which I replaced could this be the problem? I pulled up onto a kerb and then changed the wheel jacking it up could that be the problem why my coil spring buckled as it wasn't on straight ground or would it matter?

Thanks.
01 2.0 Coil Springs Keep Breaking - kithmo
"Buckled" coil spring ?
Keith
01 2.0 Coil Springs Keep Breaking - barkas
Hi tjhere BH....Coil spring failure was a uncommon problem in the past, but since 2000, car manufacturers have been fitting poorly made coil springs on the production lines to cut costs, A lot of these springs outlast the car warranty then fail a year or two later , they are from eastern European suppliers and the problem seems limited to Euro built cars. The two main problems with the springs are they are incorrectly tempered, and the ends of the spring are CUT off flat and they should be cut (tapered) the latter helps the spring to seat squarely and takes lateral strain from the coil. A good mechanic will ALWAYS tell you that you should always fit a (pair) of springs rather than one, this ensures the springs are both the same height and tension so are (paired), the same applies to disc / pads / shocks / shoes / drums etc. Ive had 2 springs break this year , replace the top strut bearing in case its seized and make sure the word TOP which will be lasered on the spring is actually at the top after its fitted...MINE WERE NOT!!!!
01 2.0 Coil Springs Keep Breaking - piston power
Have you put on extra weight lately i know i have! lol.................

Lots of problems with coil springs snapping try genuine worth paying a few quid more.
01 2.0 Coil Springs Keep Breaking - dimdip
^ sounds like the genuine OEM ones are the problem? Think I'd be considering some aftermarket ones by one of the recognised quality manufacturers

Edited by dimdip on 29/12/2009 at 19:17

01 2.0 Coil Springs Keep Breaking - macavity
Speed bumps seem to be a probable cause of spring failure. Although Ford do seem to have more of a problem than other cars.
01 2.0 Coil Springs Keep Breaking - jbean

I have just had my front springs replaced for the second time. The first was after 31500 miles and last was 69600 miles. Ford blamed my driving and the state of the roads. The are not interested in the safety aspect of this. The most recent failure was leaving a car park. As stated elsewhere, the spring rubs against the tyre and would cause a blowout at speed. Until this failure I would have bought another Mondeo in a heartbeat but I'm afraid I can't now consider buying a car with the potential to kill me because of inferior components.If you'll excuse me I must go and look at a Passat.

01 2.0 Coil Springs Keep Breaking - sandy56

I had a 2004 Mondeo v6 for three years and never had this problem, and we do have lots of speed bumps and bad roads here.

I think you need to replace BOTH springs using a reputable supplier. Saying that I used the Ford dealer garage for servicing-I tried an independent and then went back to Ford.

01 2.0 Coil Springs Keep Breaking - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

I think it's a tribute to the number of road-spring failures on today's cars that there are so many firms making replacement springs – Monroe, Boge, Quinton Hazell, K-Flex, Lesjöfors, etc. And the price of them varies by as much as an insurance quote from different suppliers. (Just griping 'cos I looked for car insurance last night and been quoted from £300 to £1600! The AA wanted £570! I laughed and slammed the 'phone down! I'll go for the £300 thank you!). My 2006 Fiesta 1.4 Tdci has just had its first front spring breakage after 6 years and 147,000 miles, and a Google search gives me prices from £25 to over £60 for one spring. My local garage has managed to get me a pair of Lesjöfors for £25 each, so I'll give 'em a try if he can fit them this week. Last report was that the bottom pinch-bolts won't budge! That's made me think that the pinch-bolt is one of those bolts which should be religiously removed once a year, smeared with copper grease and replaced.

Edited by MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom on 22/01/2012 at 21:36