What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
01 1.6 rear brakes grind when braking at low speed - shauny
mainly when i have just started my journey, but when i have to slow to a full stop the brakes grind, like the pads have wore out. but i have had them recently checked, and that was not the case.

any ideas what could be wrong

thanks for your help

shaun

Edited by Webmaster on 21/12/2009 at 21:38

01 1.6 rear brake drum grinds when braking at low - Robin the Technician
Hi Shaun,
What you are experiencing is quite normal. Your brake discs are bare metal and as you know, bare metal rusts. Overnight your discs accumulate a small film of rust on them. When you drive off, the first or second application of the brakes removes it. In current weather conditions - (very wet) and the use of salt on the roads the discs will probably rust more. As you say your pads are ok then its a normal occurence.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician
01 1.6 rear brake drum grinds when braking at low - mikej
Wouldn't a 1.6 have rear drum brakes, rather than disks ?

IIRC, it was only the 2l and/or special edition/top-of-the-range models that had rear disks but I might be wrong !

The rear drums on my 1.8 would often get very noisy and squeal, due to the build-up of brake dust over time. Removing the drums to clean them out helped to stop this.
01 1.6 rear brake drum grinds when braking at low - Dynamic Dave
Wouldn't a 1.6 have rear drum brakes rather than disks ?

Before I amended the subject header, it mentioned drums (see the following posts), but then the OP started mentioning pads, not shoes. Hopefully he can come back and confirm whether he has discs or drums on the rear of his Focus.
01 1.6 rear brake drum grinds when braking at low - shauny
sorry i will confirm that they are drum brakes, and so the shoes have been checks and are fine. but still makes this grinding noise like metal on metal. but still does this after a longish journy but not as loudly as when first driving off.

Snipquote

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/12/2009 at 00:28

01 1.6 rear brake drum grinds when braking at low - Galaxy
Then I'm afraid you do have a problem and the rear brakes need to be checked again.

It might be something like the wrong brake linings are fitted. They may well have plenty of meat left on them, but could be the wrong material. Or, there could be something loose in the brake drum, like a spring, or even one of the brake shoe retaining clips missing.

What condition is the inside of the brake drum in? Is it smooth or is it grooved?

Edit. I've just re-read your original post. I note that you didn't check the rear brakes yourself, but had them checked. I would suggest you get them checked again by someone else!

Edited by Galaxy on 22/12/2009 at 20:20

01 1.6 rear brake drum grinds when braking at low - shauny
thanks i will do

shaun
01 1.6 rear brake drum grinds when braking at low - snoop
hi

i am experiancing the same problem,but with a suzuki. Had the breaks checked twice now, same garage different mechcanic can find nothing wrong.

the first guy said he had cleaned them all up, and was alot better that day, but by end of the week just as bad,with all the weather and grit on the road and i think rust and muck could just be the problem.After a few braking procedures it seems to clear for awhile buit does return on the same journey which is funny, maybe just needs a better clean
01 1.6 rear brake drum grinds when braking at low - piston power
When your driving apply light pressure to the brake pedal when safe to do so for a few seconds at a time this will generate heat and the rear brakes are damp lots of moisture this time of year, you may drive some distance before you apply the brakes in which case they are still damp.

Keep doing this applying light pressure the noise should go away if there in good order.