What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Aston Martin Cygnet - Chris S
Does it remind anyone else of the Allegro Vanden Plas?
Aston Martin Cygnet - mrmender
No
Aston Martin Cygnet - maz64
Aston Martin link: tinyurl.com/yll2mmp

I was going to say it looks more like a Toyota IQ, but a quick google appears to show that's in fact what it is?
Aston Martin Cygnet - colinh
More duckling - ugly-type

Edited by colinh on 17/12/2009 at 10:12

Aston Martin Cygnet - autumnboy

Yes they are the IQ. Seen 5 yesterday in portbury dock off the Toyota boat, waiting delivery to AM with the IQ trim etc

Maybe they will shoehorn a V12 into them.

Maybe its buy one and get one free.

Who knows ??

No matter what the do, its still an IQ.

Aston Martin Cygnet - Armstrong Sid
Does it remind anyone else of the Allegro Vanden Plas?

Whatever you're on, I want some. It must make the world look very different
Aston Martin Cygnet - Westpig
I cannot work out why anyone would want one, they're not going to be cheap are they
Aston Martin Cygnet - Sofa Spud
I'm sure the Cygnet is beuatifully finished and it looks passably tasteful. If you've got more money than sense, then I can think of worse ways to waste it.

Initially, the Cygnet seems like a ridiculous idea, but in a way it might be prophetic, a glimpse of the Aston Martin of the future. After all, most Astons are 2 seaters, aren't they. When oil becomes scarce and expensive, cars like this might be the only dish on the menu.

The nearest parallel from the past I can think of is the Panther Rio, which was a small luxury saloon based on the Triumph Dolomite. And then there were various Minis built in the 60s to Rolls- Royce standards, with connolly leather etc - Peter Sellers had one.

One of the most ridiculous re-skins was a car, called the Guyton (I think), which was a sleekish 'supercar' based on the Jaguar XJ6 / XJ12 in the 70's. This car had the new body panels attached OVER the original Jaguar ones, adding significantly to its weight!

Edited by Webmaster on 19/12/2009 at 01:56

Aston Martin Cygnet - maz64
The nearest parallel from the past I can think of is the Panther Rio which
was a small luxury saloon based on the Triumph Dolomite.

Perhaps the OP meant the Cygnet is like the Allegro Vanden Plas in spirit rather than looks ie. large car 'luxury' in a small car, with a large car price?
Aston Martin Cygnet - Armstrong Sid
Perhaps the OP meant the Cygnet is like the Allegro Vanden Plas in spirit rather
than looks ie. large car 'luxury' in a small car with a large car price?

>>

It would be interesting to know how much it costs Aston Martin to build it. Would it make alot of money for them, because I've always understood that basically the principle is, small cars=small profit, and larger cars=large profit
Aston Martin Cygnet - Chris S
Perhaps the OP meant the Cygnet is like the Allegro Vanden Plas in spirit rather
than looks

yes - an everyday car with a prestige grill stuck on it. I wondered why.

I think the poster who mentioned reducing average CO2 emissions across the range is on the right track.

Aston Martin Cygnet - tunacat
>>"they're not going to be cheap are they"

Except, isn't there the possibility they're going to give you one for free if you buy their million-quid One-77 model ?

It IS a re-clothed Toyota IQ, and its purpose is to get Aston's averaged-across-all-models CO2 rating down.

Aston Martin Cygnet - OmNo
Spot on tuna - they couldn't even be bothered to alter the dash design - it is a Toyota - full stop - and is now part the AM range to reduce CO2. I am afraid though that someone will buy one becuase they are just so thick to realise it is an iQ, but companies like AM thrive on such people. Surely AM's time would be better spent designing solutions to make cars true to the brand but kinder to the environment - like BMW for instance.
Aston Martin Cygnet - Lud
kinder to the environment - like BMW for instance.

Oooh, ponce ponce.

I'll have a Chrysler 300 6.2 please, or a nice Holden brute. True to no brand whatsoever and absolutely horrible to the environment.

'Brand' indeed. Tchah!

Edited by Lud on 18/12/2009 at 20:12

Aston Martin Cygnet - Naffy

Yeah !!!!!!!!

Can't wait for the Toyota Vantage to hit the roads !

I read in Autocar that the Cygnet is only going to be available to customers who already own an Aston Martin. That might be the stroke of genius behind an otherwise daft project.

The Cygnet is a lifestyle statement. It says: "My other car is a proper Aston Martin but I use this to pootle round town to show how green I am."

I do have to say thet the Cygnet is better looking than the Toyota IQ it's based on, though.

Further my post above...

I wonder if Aston Martin will throw in a discounted, or even a free Cygnet when you buy your DB9 or whatever.

Mind you, if i was buying a One-77, I'd want a free transporter truck too for it too!!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 18/04/2010 at 00:02