What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
06 1.8 What is the correct battery spec? - locky
Trying to work out the correct battery spec for my Focus 56 plate 1.8 TDCi. The original Ford one is rated 80Ah. Spoke to Ford who say that it is not covered under warranty and they listed 4 different types. The most expensive being the 80Ah one at about £140.

Must I use exactly the same rating and is calcium type battery critical? I believe Varta do a Blue and Silver range and Bosch do a Silver range, but havent a clue if they are equivalent to calcium.

The reason I believe I need a new one is that it turned over fine first attempt this freezing morning. Left it for 10 mins with heated screens on. Well thought I switched them all on, but front one seemed to have turned off, so turned it on after 5 mins. Then switched car off for 5 mins. Got kids in and then tried to start it. Turned over but would not go. Managed to jump start it later and checked battery voltage which was 14.4V whilst running, so believe alternator is OK.
06 1.8 What is the correct battery spec? - Hamsafar
www.varta-automotive.com/index.php?id=260&L=
Varta have an online catalogue by application.

Manufacturer FORD Model Line FOCUS II
Vehicle 1.8 TDCi kW / PS 85 / 115
From 2005-01 To

Search result:
These batteries can be inserted into your vehicle. By clicking on the respective article number, you will find further details on the battery.
Article number
Product line
Voltage [V]
Battery Capacity [Ah]
Cold cranking current, EN [A]
574 402 075 3162 SILVER dynamic
572 409 068 3132 BLUE dynamic

Edited by Hamsafar on 16/12/2009 at 18:15

06 1.8 What is the correct battery spec? - jc2
Calcium type battery is critical.
Thanks for link. Looks like these 2 batteries are same price on some sites, which makes it more difficult to pick one. Guess the silver should be better?
06 1.8 What is the correct battery spec? - Galaxy
The heated screens are on timers. It probably timed-out and switched itself off.
I remember the light coming on for both front and rear screens, but when I went back only the rear was still going, and the front screen was still icey. Once pressed again the front started to melt. It says something in the manual that the heated screens can turn themselves on or off automatically if the volatge is too high or low. I am guessing that the battery voltage got too low, so it switched off the front. Then after I switched the car off, the voltage was too low to start it properly, but enough to turn it over. After about 6 attempts the starter was turning over really slow. That's when I deceided to give up and then jump start it. Have to wait and see what its like in the morning.
06 1.8 What is the correct battery spec? - quizman
The Varta silver 574 402 075 3162 should cost around £80 inc VAT if you shop around motor factors. I bought one last week for £68+VAT, it's code is E38.
Varta are excellent batteries, I use them on my cars, tractors and combine. They last much longer than Exide, which I used to use.
Bosch batteries are exactly the same as Varta, they are made by the same firm.
As has been said you must use calcium batteries on your Focus. Bosch/Varta are calcium.