What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
97 4.0 adding GPS tracker - what connections to +1 - FrankSm
Hi folks

Am adding something similar to the Snooper Tracker to my car (www.snooper.co.uk/snooper-gps-tracker.htm ) {Link corrected - didn't like the bracket at the end without a space})

These things have an internal battery that charges off the car's 12v supply. Should it be connected to the permanent +12v ? Or to an ignition-switched +12v ? The former will ensure a topped up battery-backup, but may deplete the car's battery. The latter will obviously only charge the tracker when the engine is running.

I do have an 'old' tracker fitted to my other car (MX5, connected to permanent +12v) but that plus the alarm will deplete the car's battery within 5 days. However, the MX5's battery is a fairly puny gel type, so it's not surprising. Maybe a normal wet-cell battery will do better ?

Thanks

Frank

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/12/2009 at 13:20

97 4.0 adding GPS tracker - what connections to +1 - Kevin
XK and XJ Jaguars can be pretty fussy about battery voltage so I'd be wary of connecting anything to unswitched 12v.

I'd look at backing up the tracker's internal battery with it's own rechargeable unit charged from a switched supply.

Kevin...
97 4.0 adding GPS tracker - what connections to +1 - Altea Ego
A switched supply should be used. A 12v volt battery wont make much effort to charge a 12 battery, but 13.8 volts running will.
97 4.0 adding GPS tracker - what connections to +1 - Kevin
>A 12v volt battery wont make much effort to charge a 12 battery, but 13.8 volts running will.

AE,

Switched or unswitched it will still see alternator voltage whenever the engine is running. The tracker battery is also probably no more than 3.5v or so.

Frank,

I'm not convinced of the value of devices like the Snooper GPS Tracker.

I don't think that it has external antenna capability for GPS and GPRS/GSM so where the heck can it be located where it will be hidden yet still get a signal?

I doubt that it's insurance approved (especially for DIY installation) so it won't save on premiums either.

Pretty handy for checking if your car is still on the drive and the battery isn't flat though :-)

If you decide to install the thing, the safest solution would be to install a dedicated backup battery if you expect to leave the car parked for longer than the tracker's internal battery will last (70hrs for the snooper apparently).

Connecting it unswitched to the vehicle battery, even for a few days, is likely to leave you needing jump leads on an XK or XJ.

Kevin...
97 4.0 adding GPS tracker - what connections to +1 - FrankSm
Thanks lads, ign-switched it shall be.

Kevin: not looking to seek insurance-approval or anything. Quite a few stolen cars are laid up for a few days to 'cool off' before being dismantled or'processed'. If a tracker helps me find the car during that period, then that's great. If it helps the police pay a visit to the scumbags whether the car is in bits or not, that would also be nice :-)

In my MX5, the tracker is hidden well inside the car, with its external anntenae also hidden under plastic and within view of one of the windows. It does work ! Also txts me when the alarm goes off, so it's great even just as a pager.

Thanks again for the ideas !

Frank
97 4.0 adding GPS tracker - what connections to +1 - fany

Going for this one: www.pumpkinhot.co.uk/ It'a about STG80 after shipping and import duty. Just needs a pay-as-you-go SIM card. Dial the thing, and it texts you back a string that you can copy into Google Maps, etc. It charges off a USB connection, so I am just going to hard-wire one into the car via a 5V voltage regulator and a fuse. Simples

97 4.0 adding GPS tracker - what connections to +1 - Collos25
Trackers of any description are pretty useless any self respecting car thief has the means to turn them off in seconds.