What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
05 2.5 warning lights and power steering - bobbyblue
Hi.
My battery warning light came on, then my abs & esp warning lights. Then the power steering failed. Then all the other warning lights came and the engine started to splutter as if running out of petrol although it has a full tank. The engine died and will not restart.
Any ideas.

Thanks for any help
05 2.5 warning lights and power steering - Dynamic Dave
My battery warning light came on

Or more commonly known as the alternator light. In short your alternator has a problem, which in turn is failing to charge the battery, which is causing the other problems.
Hi
Would the alternator problem cause the power steering to fail as well
05 2.5 warning lights and power steering - Collos25
YES
05 2.5 warning lights and power steering - Dynamic Dave
If your PAS has an electric pump instead of a pump that's driven from a pulley and belt on the engine, then as Andy says - yes.
ok, thanks for the help. It has been really helpful
05 2.5 warning lights and power steering - jason_hn

I love you all. This exact problem just happened to me, the battery light then the abs and esp then with smoke coming from under bonnet the power steering failed, panic. The garage say its the alternator but I wasn't convinced. You have all just settled my mind. Thank you.

05 2.5 warning lights and power steering - piggy

This happened to me recently as well. Luckily I was aware that this can happen when the battery is on it`s way out. Bought a new battery-problem solved.

05 2.5 warning lights and power steering - sundaydriver

Hi exactly the same thing has just happened to mine (06),voltage regulator and diodes burnt out,not too bad 97 to have alternator repaired,does anyone know if st2/3 needs a silver calcium battery or a lead acid one due to the smart charge system fitted to these cars as mine is still over charging on idle 15.6 v as opposed to 13.78v with smart charge system disconnected car can be used ok like this without risk to electrical system though.