What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
92 1.1 Temp gauge in the red - drives OK - Lisat
Hi all,

I started my journey home tonight (30 miles) and noticed after a few minutes that the bit on the dashboard that tells you the engine is overheating had gone right past the red and off the end of the scale.

If I turn off the engine the needle goes back to the start, but as soon as I turn the key ( even one click so the engines not on) it shoots right back off the scale.

I drove home but kept stopping to check, the engine didn't feel any hotter than usual and the car drove as normal. The heaters are working fine too.

Any ideas what it might be.

Thank you for your time,

Lisa x

{year changed from 97 to 92 - OP made a typo error}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/11/2009 at 00:39

97 1.1 Says engine is overheating on dash, but dri - adverse camber
If you are lucky a faulty sensor. What does it show when the engine is cold?

More likely its overheating. The temperature is the temp of the coolant fluid not the engine itself. Have you checked the level of the coolant? Is it normal?

Is the radiator getting hot?
I would also be checking the thermostat which could be stuck closed, preventing the coolant from circulating and the water pump (I have no idea where the water pump is on a 1.1 ford - or what drives it, but it could be a faulty pump (impeller broken? drive belt failed?)_
97 1.1 Says engine is overheating on dash, but dri - Lisat
It shoots off the scale, with one turn of the key, when it's cold.

I'll have to take it to a garage to check the thermostst I have no idea how to.

Thank you x
97 1.1 Says engine is overheating on dash, but dri - Number_Cruncher
>>It shoots off the scale, with one turn of the key, when it's cold.

Then, you have a problem with either the temperature sensor, its wiring, or, with the gauge itself. After checking to make sure there's the correct level of coolant in the header tank, and that the alternator / water pump drive belt is OK, there's nothing to get too worried about.

The level of coolant seems ok. I don't know how to check the alternator/water oupm drive belt.

Does this mean it wont be too expensive to get sorted?

Thank you for all your help x
97 1.1 Says engine is overheating on dash, but dri - bell boy
ford never made a fiesta in 1997 with an 1100 engine (thankfully)
so
its either a late registered mk3 fiesta with the old pushrod engine
or
its
a mk4 endura 1300

Sorry its 1992 I did it wrong, its definately a 1.1

{now changed}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/11/2009 at 00:39

lift the bonnet
look for the left hand water hose from radiator to engine
within 6 cm you will see an electrical wire going to a sensor in the head,this is your problem,usually the wires have gone brittle causing a short circuit giving your result on the cable into the plug
or
the senser is faulty
i would go for the cabling breaking down and shorting on this year
Thanks for that, I will look in the morning when Its light and let you know.

Your all stars, thanks x
97 1.1 Says engine is overheating on dash, but dri - percy
We used to have a '90 1.1 Fiesta. It had the same fault - dodgy temerature sender - very cheap from Ford (£7?). Simply unscrew the sender from the cylinder head (finger over hole to stop coolant loss), screw new sender in, reconnect the wire and should be okay. Of course I went the hard way at it and changed the thermostat first....
Good luck!
97 1.1 Says engine is overheating on dash, but dri - Rattle
I think the wiring will be ok, I had a 95 1.1 and the temp guage never worked, the wire had been cut. I simply crimped a crocodile lead to the remains of the old wire, then put the crocodile on the temperature sensor worked a dream. I think the car may have had an overheating problem in the past and some dodgy trader cut the wire.

Because yours is of the scale the fault is most likely to be the sender itself.

rattlle
do you understand how the sender works?
why would a dodgy trader cut a wire on an old 92 fiesta and the OP has only just noticed it
the cables broke on these ,ive done enough of them,in fact i was doing them before you got your first pocket money
if the sender stopped working the gauge would go into no work mode NOT FULL ON
Well, Ive looked, but I can't tell. Do any of you live in the West Midlands, I would rather pay one of you than someone I don't know!