What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
v5 query - honest dave
I've seen a car I like at a dealership (more a forecourt with about 20 cars for sale and little else). I have a couple of questions about the v5 on the car I am looking at:

1. The listed owner of the car on the V5 is a company (I think it was Norwich Union or Cornhill Insurance or someone like that) rather than an individual. What does this mean? Does this mean it might be owned by a finance company and hence might have outstanding debts still owing on it?

2. I checked online and the car is listed as having only one previous owner. The trader told me he had bought it about a month ago but would this not mean that the car has had two owners? I'm not clear how this works.

I think I'm worrying about nothing but any help anyone could give would be much appreciated.

Dave
v5 query - L'escargot
1. The listed owner of the car on the V5 is a company (I think
it was Norwich Union or Cornhill Insurance or someone like that) rather than an individual.

It probably means it had been run by one of their employees as part of his job or as a perk.
v5 query - Mookfish
1) The name listed on the V5 is the keeper not the owner, if you buy a car on finance your name will still be on the V5, so as the snail says it was probably a company car, rather than on finance, still do a HPI though.

2) If the trader is operating legally he will not count as a owner on the cars history, sounds like he is above board as you have seen the v5. When a car is sold into the motor trade section 9 of the V5 is returned to DVLA and the trader keeps the rest until they sell the vehicle. Once they sell the vehicle section 10 goes to the buyer and the remaider of the V5 is completed and returned to the DVLA, so asuming the dealer bought the car from the first owner the person who buys the car from the dealer becomes the second owner.
v5 query - bell boy
direct from auction to dealer
i dont see the problem unless its from a bank i now own as a taxpayer and the car was sold underbook to balance gordons gin