01 2.5 radiator stone cold - inspire90
Hi Guys. I just recently changed the thermostat in my freelander and parked it up for a while. I decided to start using it and filled it with coolant, as the engine gets warm, pressure starts to build in the headertank and as it gets hot the coolant start to escape through the cap, but the radiator is stone cold.
The top hose that goes into the rad is piping hot and the bottom hose is cold as well.
Sometime the fan cuts in, some time it doesn't.
Your advice will be really appreciated.
Thanks a million.
01 2.5 radiator stone cold - piston power
Bleed it again, did you flush the system a back flush gets rid of any crud?

I think you have a air lock some are a pain to bleed but a landy should be ok.
01 2.5 radiator stone cold - inspire90
Thanks for your reply BIGTEE. My mechanic tried bleeding the rad with some equipment, but had to stop because he said my rad has got a leak (though didn't notice any leak) and as he tried to suck the air from the rad he was also sucking air was the environment and as a result it is impossible to bleed the rad.
What do you think about this explanation? And is this possible at all?
He is now saying I need a new rad.

Thanks.
01 2.5 radiator stone cold - piston power
If you have a leak from the radiator fair enough replace or get it repaired but it still needs bleeding, if replaced it will be bleed or at least you would hope so. an air lock can get in through a leak but not usually.
01 2.5 radiator stone cold - Dave N
I seem to remember when these first came out, being at a LR dealership. The only way to fill the system was with a vacuum machine. So if your man is right, then he won't be able to get enough vacuum to pull in the coolant.

The other problem, was if this wasn't done properly and quickly, and the engine was run before all the air was out/coolant was in, then a headgasket failure could well occur within a few minutes.