What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
09 2.0 Harsh on 18" alloys - advice on change to - Mondaywoe
Hi

I've recently bought a new Mondeo Titanium X which is a fine car in many respects - apart from the ride, which to me is too hard on poor surfaces and comes with a fair bit of road noise.

I'm thinking about changing the alloys to 16" and fitting tyres with a higher profile. I know handling might suffer a bit but I'm no boy racer so happy to compromise.

Would this make a significant difference?
Would the Titanium X be OK on smaller wheels (offset, brakes etc)?
Should I get genuine Ford alloys?
Should I sell the OE 18" wheels and tyres or keep for refitting when I change the car?
Any suggestions for a nice quiet make of tyre but not sacrificing safe handling and reasonable wear?
Will a change of wheels improve economy? (I'm hovering on 39/40mpg with the 2.0 TDCI 140 which is OK but not earth shattering.)

09 2.0 Harsh on 18" alloys - advice on change to - astrabob
Ford sell the Edge, Zetec and ECOnetic verions of the Mondeo with 16" wheels. They are can be either steel or alloy. Tyre size is 205/55R16. They would give a better ride.

You need to check with Ford that making the change is ok, and also let your insurers know.

Keep the old wheels, so that it can be sold in the original condition.

09 2.0 Harsh on 18" alloys - advice on change to - craig-pd130

I have a Mondy IV Zetec estate with the standard 16" alloys and tyres (Michelin Premacy, 205 / 55 I think) and the ride / road noise suppression really is very good indeed. The handling is also sharp, certainly streets ahead of my 2003 Passat.

Mine is quite firmly sprung and hardly rolls, but it does smooth the bumps well. The Passat was also firmly sprung but crashed over every bump and felt like the dampers were filled with cement, not oil.

I don't know if the TitX has lowered suspension to go with the sporty wheels, probably worth seeing if you could get a quick test drive in a Mondy with 16" wheels to see if it gives the improvement you're looking for.

You MIGHT get an improvement in economy ... for reference, I've averaged a genuine 42.5mpg since new (18 months and 17,000 miles old), measuring brim-to-brim.
It's the 2.0 TDCI engine I have and I think the Zetec models with the same engine has 215/55/16 tyres as opposed to 205/55 so I might be better going for that.

The TitX doesn't have lowered or stiffened suspension that I'm aware of - that's reserved for the Titanium X Sport! So I'm guessing that the 2.0 TDCI 140 Zetec is mechanically identical.

Can't figure out why Ford makes the 18" wheels standard fit on the Tit X especially now that they have discontinued the Ghia. There must be plenty of folks like me who just want a nice comfy car with good spec!

I'd have to say that Ford don't help things by making their seats very hard. Although I find them very supportive and don't feel any back pain at all I am constantly aware of how unforgiving the backrest is!

I suppose all of this is caused by me jumping ship after having 15 years of Citroens (and almost 15 years of Renaults before that!) A non-French car is a real shock to the system!

I must say though that these new Fords are really well bolted together. the Mondeo 1V feels tremendously well made.

09 2.0 Harsh on 18" alloys - advice on change to - cheddar
especially now that they have discontinued the Ghia. There must be plenty of folks like
me who just want a nice comfy car with good spec!

They still list the Ghia and although it is not the most expensive in std form it can be speced the highest with full leather etc.
I asked about the Ghia when I bought the Tit X but the dealer said it would be virtually impossible to get one now. Cost was a factor too - I got the Tit X pre-reg at about £8000 off list price which was good value. A Ghia with all the toys ordered specially would be a horrendously expensive option. So I suppose £500 to change wheels and tyres is still an economical solution.
09 2.0 Harsh on 18" alloys - advice on change to - cheddar
I would buy some Ford 16" (or 17") wheels with corresponding tyres having made sure of the fit, brake clearance, offset etc. Then store the 18"'s to sell the car with.

An alternative is to find someone with a Mondeo on 16" wheels who wants to swap though that would devalue your car whereas a spare set of wheels would add value to it.

Whatever you do tell your insurer.
09 2.0 Harsh on 18" alloys - advice on change to - craig-pd130

That's a tremendous discount you got there, so a set of wheels would make sense especially if you're planning to keep the car for a few years.

As Cheddar says, genuine Ford wheels are probably best for an easy swap.

Mine's the 2.0 TDCI too, it's really going well.
Yes - it was a good deal. The Titanium X new with metallic paint is just a shade over 26,000. I got this one pre-reg (40 miles on the clock when delivered) for 17,995. Also persuaded the dealer to throw in a towbar and electrics fitted! Dealer even gave me a form to claim back the tax on my trade in.

Needless to say the car is absolutely as new and with 1000 miles now on the clock I haven't had one single glitch.

The only downside of the pre-reg is that it's an 09 plate and I've lost 3 months warranty but that's of negligible significance. Dealer's name is also the first registered owner.

So a slightly firm ride is not exactly too big a price to pay and shelling out for 4 wheels and tyres would still leave me quids in.

Mind you, I phoned Ford this morning to check on availability of wheels and their technical dept said they would 'not recommend' changing the OEM wheels which seems odd to me considering the Zetec is exactly the same mechanically and runs very well on 16" rims. Is this Ford trying to keep themselves clear of any litigation or is there a genuine reason why it might affect the car detrimentally? Someone suggested the ecu might need to be re-programmed but with the overall diameter of the wheel/tyre being retained I fail to see how the car can sense any difference?
09 2.0 Harsh on 18" alloys - advice on change to - TheOilBurner
They don't recommend it because they aren't to know whether you're a knowledgeable sort of chap or a clown. Of course, you're the former. but they have to assume the latter in the ass covering stakes! :)

Check the rolling radius will be the same with the 16" wheels and whatever tyres you choose as your current set-up.

If it is, and the 16" wheels can accommodate your brake discs OK (I'd be surprised if they're any bigger on yours, but you'd need to check regardless), then I cannot see any reason why it can't be done at all. You only need to re-program the computer if the rolling radius is significantly changed.

Go for it I say.
The dealers are going to check this out for me. When I phoned Ford they put me on hold while they talked to their technical dept. They did offer to connect me to them direct but warned it would cost £1 per minute! I suppose this is their way of fending off time wasters but as you say there is always an assumption that the punter is witless.

Just as well I didn't attempt anything hi-tech like emptying the ashtray......... ;-)