What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
05 1.6 HID kits - focuskev
Does anyone know if my 2005 focus tdci would have 'bulb out' warning lights or has a Canbus system as I am looking at installing some HID lamps.
Seen some on Ebay for around £50 with a 2yr warranty..........anyone know whats the best?
Thanks
05 1.6 HID kits - Hamsafar
CANbus is a network protocol, whether or not the bulb failure system uses it to communicate with another component or not is not really relevant. All you need to know is that the HID kit will mimmick a real bulb.
05 1.6 HID kits - rtj70
And fitting them is illegal if you don't also have automatic adjustment of headlight level. I'll say it before someone else. So don't start the debate over again here :-)

Edited by rtj70 on 29/09/2009 at 22:24

Hi,
'automatic' headlight adjust? Legal headlamp levels are set at MOT surely with most cars having manual adjust to compensate rear end weighted levels
05 1.6 HID kits - rtj70
All cars with HID lights fitted must have self-levelling. This is because they are brighter and therefore must not dazzle other users. They all must have a wash mechanism. I forgot to mention that.

Do a site search for debates on this. The fact is fitting what you suggest will be illegal unless you have self-levelling lights and headlight washers.

I've not touched on the fact the lens on your lights was designed for halogen lights and not HID lights.

You might want to take a look here:

www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

Key statement would be:

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

Edited by rtj70 on 29/09/2009 at 23:11

Very interesting indeed.
I notice some ebayers selling these kits are selling them as legal without any mention of changing headlamp units as per DFT and one UK main dealer of HIDS doesnt mention this either..............utterly misleading.
05 1.6 HID kits - Hamsafar
The problem is that they are not specifically prohibited in law, and the laws the DFT are referencing only apply to the type approval of new vehicles.
Until there is a test case in the High Court it is all speculation.
Having said that, I do think that there should be a crackdown on vehicles which cause dazzling, regardless of the headlamp technology or social status of the driver.
05 1.6 HID kits - rtj70
I think technically, HID are not legal in the UK but the EU type approval for new cars means they can be used. Because you cannot type approve the after market ones then they are not legal.

Too many cars dazzle others as it is. So fitting HID's without a way of ensuring the lenses are clean (and the right lenses for HID!) and the light beam is not too high causes problems.
05 1.6 HID kits - Dynamic Dave
I notice some ebayers selling these kits are selling them as legal ....

A lot of the kits I have seen being sold, have "for off road use only" in the write up of the advert.

To quote from one website:-

"Please remember that it is your responsibility to ensure that the items purchased are suitable for your vehicle make/model and that the use of said items complies with all applicable laws in your Country. In the UK, fitting an aftermarket HID kit is not technically road legal as you are replacing a halogen bulb with an HID bulb, because of this the HID bulb cannot be E marked, which is a requirement for it to be road legal. Therefore our HID kits are sold for off-road use only."