What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo - Which filter? - Mondeo Husband
I have been trying to change the oil filter on an L reg Mondeo. Both the filters are marked "EFL600". The old filter also has the number "1 119 421" on it and has five holes around the top. The new filter has the number "1 066 071" on it and has six holes around the top. The new filter also has an additional feature in that when fitted and the engine is started, oil gushes out round the seal. Refitting the old filter sorts the problem.

I am assured by my local Ford agent that the filters are the same but my experience and the oil stain on the drive tells a different story.

Are these filters the same?
Mondeo - Which filter? - jc
EFL is a Ford number;the other numbers are manufacturers numbers -so two different manfacturers.Make sure that the new one has a seal on it and properly seated,make sure you did not leave the old seal on the cyl. block;the only other reason could be damage to the new filter.
JC

Thanks for that. My first thought was that the old seal was in the way. I checked and it wasn't. I made sure that the face of the housing was clear of all debris. I made sure that the ring on the new filter was sound and hadn't been damaged. All was fine but when I fitted it again it still leaked.

The only significant difference I can see if that the face of the filters is different. One has five holes, the other has six.

I have succeeded in changing the filter successfully before and I also change the filter on my Fiesta without problems.
Mondeo - Which filter? - John S
MH

If they are both marked EFL 600 then they are genuine Ford Filters and the other numbers are (or should be) irrelevant. The different numbers and numbers of holes indicates different suppliers. unless there's a gross difference in the form of the end of the filter that screws to the engine I can only think that the replacement is faulty in some way.

Regards

John S
Mondeo - Which filter? - Cyd
Sounds suspiciuously like you've been given the wrong filter. It might be that the wrong filter has the correct markings.

Why not issue the dealer a challenge. Get them to fit it while you watch. If it goes on OK first time you'll pay the agreed labour charge. If not, they have to get the right filter in place for free.
This has happened to me twice. Last year the Ford agent replaced the filter with one from the same manufacturer and gave me oil to replace spillage. This year I have been given a filter from a different manufacturer (the right one - I hope) and will find out next year if it works properly.

Any opinions on third party filters for Fords?

MH
Mondeo - Which filter? - kithmo
>>This has happened to me twice. Last year the Ford agent
replaced the filter with one from the same manufacturer and gave
me oil to replace spillage. This year I have been given
a filter from a different manufacturer (the right one - I
hope) and will find out next year if it works properly.
Any opinions on third party filters for Fords?
MH

>>
I've fitted Halfords filters to my 95 mondeo with no problems.
Mondeo - Which filter? - Chas{P}
Mondeo Husband

Let me clarify this as I have the supercession information for this oil filter (EFL600). Both numbers or FINIS Codes are interchangeable.

FINIS Code 1119421 is intercangeable with:
1043147, 1071746, 1047169 & 1066071. This information was taken from the Ford Supercession Index.

Therefore there is no problem fitting any of these filters to your Mondeo. However you may have a faulty one.

HTH

Charles