What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Buy or walk away? - Sam0409
Hi Guys,

I'm planning to buy a 2005 (54) 1.8 LX Ford Mondeo (7 months MOT and 5 months tax) from a motor trader for £2950.

The car has done only 42K and has had only 2 MOTs. I have checked the MOT history from VOSA and there have been no MOT failures. The car has had 2 owners. It was a rental car for the 1st year and since then had been owned by a private owner. There isn't any service history available but the dealer says he should be able to get some from the previous owner. The car is in excellent condition, both interiors and exteriors and drives very good. The log book and the MOT certificates are available. Also, looking at the miles between the 2 MOTs, it appears that the last owner does about 10K/year, which may mean that as a rental car it may not have had more than 10-15K in it's first year. Dealer shall provide with a HPI certificate as well.

Valuation from whatcar is as follows:
Dealer £3,685
Private £3,170
Part exchange £3,110
Trade £2,940

This looks like a deal to me but being new to the UK car market, would look for any suggestions.

Many Thanks,
Sam.
Buy or walk away? - bathtub tom
It's reasonable mileage, but below book price. I wonder why? Do your own HPI.

>>There isn't any service history available but the dealer says he should be able to get some from the previous owner.
Does Mandy Rice-Davies mean anything to you? He would say that wouldn't he?
Buy or walk away? - wazza
I would check the chassis and engine number against the log book. Will also make note of the serial number of the log book and check it with DVLA. There was a batch of log books stolen a while back. Will also do my own HPI check. Considering the used values of cars are on the way up and yet he is asking trade in price i would be wary of it. If in doubt walk away, there are plenty of mondeo's out there.
Buy or walk away? - Brian Tryzers
Have you looked at any other, similar cars? Mondeos aren't exactly hard to find, so it would be easy enough to find out what other dealers are selling them for. If this one is really £700 less than everyone else is asking, ask yourself why.

I think you have an easy test to apply: the dealer has promised you a service history; if he comes up with it (and that HPI certificate) and it checks out, you probably have a good deal. If he doesn't, he's all hot air and hoping to get your money before you've called his bluff, in which case there are plenty of other Mondeos to look at.

Incidentally, how can it have 7 months' MoT? That would mean the current one was issued in April, and a 54 plate car would have been due no later than February.
Buy or walk away? - 1400ted
7 months MOT takes it back to 12th February, which is about right.

Ted
Buy or walk away? - Marc
I completely agree with Bathtub Tom re the service history comment.

"I'm planning to buy a 2005 (54) 1.8 LX Ford Mondeo"

From a personal perspective I found the 1.8 petrol lacking in oomph. High revs at motorway speeds and a lack of torque. Better off going for a 2.0 petrol in my opinion. Having had an LX, I would also aim for Ghia trim - much more 'feelgood' factor.
Buy or walk away? - Sam0409
Thanks a ton for your replies guys.

The car is indeed a £800-£1000 cheaper than similar ones advertised on net.

The last MOT was indeed performed in April 09 though it was due in Feb.

I think it will also be worthwhile to mention that the test did fail initially due to headlamps (both) aim too high. I ignored this in the previous post but seems there could be more to it.
Why a 2 month delay in MOT and what could be the need to replace both headlamps? A crash?

I did check the VIN in the engine bay, windscreen and on the frame on driver's side. They all match the log book.

How to check if the engine is genuine? where can be the engine number found? Also, could someone confirm if this model has a chain (I think so) or a cambelt?

Marc, I would love to have a 2.0 Ghia but currently I want to cut down on insurance, tax and fuel costs hence 1.8 LX may be a better option.
Buy or walk away? - rtj70
I'd be wondering crash damage. Headlights needed adjusting and the gap in the MOT cover.
Buy or walk away? - ifithelps
All good advice, but any used car under £3,000 is unlikely to have a perfect history.

Walk away by all means, but you may find yourself asking similar, but different, questions about the next car you find.

History is less important the older a car gets, and there appears to be some with this car.

If it looks right, drives right, and feels about right, it probably will be alright.

Buy or walk away? - gordonbennet
Couple of things, i agree if no history comes through leave it.

Sam only you know if the dealer seems 'right' or not, does He feel right to you, keep that in mind when you examine the service history.

The recent headlamp adjustment failure could be nothing at all, the previous owner might have popped in for a £29 mot test and the garage found the headlight aim to up the cost a bit, or he may have slipped some high output bulbs in and kept them for his next car dislodging the adjustment...or it could be something more sinister.

Maybe get a pro to inspect the vehicle for you, the cost saving gives you a bit to play with.