What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Questions about crash-damaged Focus - fluffyfluffkins
Hi there.

I've done some searching for answers to these questions but the answers found were conflicting.

Here's the background: a Range Rover was crashed at some speed into my parents' parked Ford Focus 2008 diesel and extensive damaged was caused. Although the inspecting technician recommended a write-off, the insurers have decided to repair the damage for £5500.

My parents obviously don't want to drive around in a car which was heavily damaged and then repaired, so they will have to sell it as soon as it is repaired.

Here are the questions:

1. Can my parents, as the victims (it was 100% the fault of the other driver) expect to be able to buy another Ford Focus diesel of similar mileage and age and condition and be reimbursed for the cost, rather than have to take delivery of their damaged and repaired car?
2. When selling a damaged and repaired car, is there a good chance it won't fetch what it would have if it had not been damaged?
3. If so, can my parents reclaim this discrepancy from the other driver's insurer?

Are there any experts or others who have been in this situation before, who can help?
Many thanks.

Edited by Pugugly on 11/08/2009 at 00:44

Questions about Crash-Damaged Focus - LikedDrivingOnce
I've been in a similar situation.
My answers are:
1. No. You'll just have to take it on the chin and take the repaired car back. The only way to get a new-for-old replacement is if the car is written off AND you have Gap Insurance.
2. Yes. The resale value will be affected.
3. You need to make a claim for what is called "diminution". In the first instance, claim against the other parties insurance. However you may end up going to court to claim against the other driver personally. (It helps if you had legal cover included in your own insurance - I did, fortunately)
Questions about Crash-Damaged Focus - alfatrike
i have worked in the insurance acident repair bussiness for several years and i have seen cars written off for less damage than what you say the car has recieved. your repaired car will be done to the highest standard using original pannels and parts that were made for your car. the work is covered by the garages warranty which will be atleast one year.

why worry. i have seen cars repaired before they go to the first owner when they have fallen off the delivery truck.

i would be happy to use and drive a proffesionally repaired car, as for the non insurance cowboys that is another matter.

snip

Edited by Pugugly on 11/08/2009 at 00:22

Questions about Crash-Damaged Focus - J500ANT
Ask the insurance company to look at it again, just to double check the figures - they might just decide against repair, esp if there's another company footing the final bill.
Questions about Crash-Damaged Focus - bell boy
friend of mine had her car repaired last week
it most certainly wasnt worth repairing but they did it
its silly august month
Questions about Crash-Damaged Focus - bell boy
i would be happy to use and drive a proffesionally repaired car, as for the non insurance cowboys that is another matter.

> you must have worked in the canteen then
Questions about Crash-Damaged Focus - alfatrike
recovery truck driver and car returner person. i worked at what seems a rairety, a good honest garage. i oppologise for using those swear words here.

snip - again

Edited by Pugugly on 11/08/2009 at 00:22

Questions about Crash-Damaged Focus - captain chaos
your repaired car will be done to the highest standard using original pannels and parts
that were made for your car.

Not necessarily. Most insurance policies have a clause to the effect that non OEM parts may be used to repair your car in certain circumstances
Questions about crash-damaged Focus - jbif
Here are the questions: >>

fluffyfluffkins:
See if the answers here are of any use:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=77...8