What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
05 1.8 electronic beep from car when not moving - stylesgiles
Hello there,
My partners car is a FORD FOCUS SPORT TDCI which is not listed.

When the car is NOT in motion and it happened this morning, when he just went out to start the car there was an audible noise like a tone that is coming from a rear wheel arch??? It happens when the car has stopped and has not been in motion for hours, does anyone at all have any ideas what this could be, its driving us crackers, we can hear it when we are in bed at night and the car hasent been driven for hours???
Any help would be soooo grateful, many thanks xxxx

{header amended}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/08/2009 at 11:15

05 1.8 Audible noise from back of car when not in - madf
Could be:
the exhaust cooling and contracting: possible hitting against bodywork or a retaining bracket too tight with exhaust under tension which gets better/worse when car is running/stopped.

Or a broken road spring settling.

Or handbrake applied but mechanism not working properly and creaking/moving when left.. (try parking in gear with handbrake off to see if noise happens)

Edited by madf on 06/08/2009 at 10:40

Hello Madf,

Thank you so much for your response.

The noise is like an electrical tone and the car had been sitting in the drive all night approx from 5.00pm to 7.30 am next day so dont think that it could be the exhaust cooling.

Its definately not a creaking or moving sound, its like a beep electrical tone which sounds like its coming from the back wheel arch???? its very strange but definately something electrical, he has taken it back to the dealers where he bought it (only had for about 2 months) and hes like "well I cant hear it so it cant be there", its a real weird one.

Many thanks for your response xxxxx
05 1.8 electronic beep from car when not moving - percy
Is the noise coming from the fuel filler side wheel arch? How long does it go on for? Could it be the fuel tank venting an over or under pressure? My petrol 1.6 Focus tank certainly lets in or out a rush of air when removing the filler cap to refuel so maybe there is a relief valve that works if the tank pressure is to high or low. HTH Percy
05 1.8 electronic beep from car when not moving - adverse camber
When does it happen?

When he unlocks the car?

On turning on the ignition?

On starting?

Could it be the lift pump starting?
Hello adverse camber,

Like I said, we woke up this morning after parking his car yesterday at 4.30pm in the drive, we had just got up opened the bedroom window and it was making the noise, it hadent been making it all night but it just does it on its own????

he did not even touch the car, we did not even look at the car, ha ha, it does it on its own, he was working nights last week and the car had been parked for hours, when he came out, never touched a thing or pressed a button and the noise was there?????

Sometimes we will be laying in bed at night then all of a sudden, beeeeeeep and its the car????

Many thanks for your reply
Hello Percy,

Thank you for your reply, the sound is coming from the rear fuel filler side wheel arch, yes, BUT it is an electronic beep, not a rush of air or anything like that, its an electrical tone that beeps, could this be the same thing????

Many thanks xxxx
05 1.8 electronic beep from car when not moving - madf
Does it have parking sensors fitted?

And an alarm?
Hello Madf,

Yes it has parking sensors fitted, ahhhhhh, interesting, do you think that this could be the answer? xxx
05 1.8 electronic beep from car when not moving - redviper
It could be as mentioned above parking sensors malfunctioning, or "operating" when they shouldnt.

If you have a alarm system that may rely on a battery back up, this might have failed and it could be warning you, or just a malfunction in general.

Does the car have a door locking system that is not functioning and is trying warn you IIRC a freind of mine had a VW Beetle, that would beep away if the doors where not closed properly ( i might be wrong on this one of course)

05 1.8 electronic beep from car when not moving - madf
If the parking sensors were not fitted as original equipment you may have a wiring fault.
OR.. there may be a fault in the control box...
05 1.8 electronic beep from car when not moving - daveyjp
My first thought was dodgy parking sensors. If they are factory fitted ones remove the fuse and see if the sound stops.
05 1.8 electronic beep from car when not moving - jc2
As said,an electronic bleep;there are NO vents to atmosphere on the fuel tank of a car of this age.The tank is vented thro' a carbon canister to comply with Evaporative Emission legislation and this is nowhere near the tank and,anyway,would make no noise.
05 1.8 electronic beep from car when not moving - mike hannon
I seem to remember from years ago that our Honda Legend made electrical noises, often hours after it was parked - might have been a buzzing or something like that. I think it was something to do with pressure in the anti-lock brake system and there was a mention in the handbook, saying basically 'this is correct, don't worry about it'.
05 1.8 electronic beep from car when not moving - TOMONEILL

My 05 1.8 Focus Diesel is doing exactly the same. It makes the soft electronic beep (its halfway between a beep and a whine and last about 5 seconds) At random times in the middle of the night.

It is loud enough to wake me up in the night. But only happens intermittently.

It also happens fairly often maybe (once in every three times) immediately after I shut the boot.

Did it ever stop on yours? Its slowly driving me mad.

Any suggestions etc, are very much appreciated!!