What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Focus 05 TDCi buying advice - bobby1ster
Hello all I am considering buying a Focus 05 TDCi Zetec Climate with 35,000 miles on the clock, FSH one owner. The dealer has promised to do a 40,000 mile service on it and from what I have been reading around the net this is quite a major service.

I am trying to find out:

A: What work should I be checking that they have carried out for this service is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Fuel filter changes etc?

B: I noticed the rubber on the windscreen had worn and you could hear air getting in at 60-70 on the motorway. They said this would be fixed but is this a common problem with this model? The last thing I want to do is buy this and find out water has been getting into the electrics!

Any advice on other things I should be checking for on this model would be very much appreciated, cheers all :-)
Focus 05 TDCi buying advice - Avant
The best place to look is HJ's car-by-car guide - click at the top of this page.

Edited by Avant on 11/07/2009 at 12:29

Thanks Avant I will certainly check that the rubber above the windscreen has been fixed after reading that and a few of the other common problems. I can't find what I should be expecting from a 40,000 mile service mind its the first time I have spent so much on a car as I normally buy old bangers so i'd like to find out if the dealer is going to give it a decent 40,000 mile service if you follow. I can ask the dealer probing questions then!
Focus 05 TDCi buying advice - NickS
Just give your local Ford service centre a ring, ask them for a quote for te 40k service, and a run down of what it includes. Then you can go back to the dealer armed with what Ford recommend for the 40k service and bargain/make sure they do everything reqiured.

I have an '06 Focus 1.8 TDCI as my company wheels, and find it very pleaseant to drive, enough power for the motorway. My only gripe is how slow it is pulling off in first from roundabouts.
Focus 05 TDCi buying advice - Marc
Try this link :

www.etis.ford.com/fordservice/serviceScheduleForm....o
Cheers all for the help most appreciated
Focus 05 TDCi buying advice - MikeTorque
There is no 40k service as such for this model. Service intervals are every 12,5000 miles or annually. A 40k service would equate to either a 37,500 or 50,000 mileage service whichever is due.

Check the track rob ends and suspension does make any noise, they can become tight and need replacing., test drive slowly from cold use full steering lock each way to test for any noise. Also have them put the car in the lift and manually test each front wheel for tightness and looseness, and take a good look underneath whilst you're about it.

Test drive the car over various roads conditions and when the engine is hot check it freely revs to the limiter around 5000 rpm, it should be smooth throughout the rev range.

Brakes should be firm and decisive, if they feel soft or don't bite well then they need servicing.

The steering has 3 electronic settings, comfort, standard and sport, check they all work ok.
Check all lights, radio, functionality work ok, front & rear window heaters work ok, the windows should become warm and the lights on the button go out after a while.

Check tyres are evenly worn and same make per axle.

Check air con blows hot and cold air on all fan settings, you should be able to hear it cut in a few seconds after it is switched on.

Request an engine diagnostics readout, ensure no error codes are recorded.
Request to see the cars service history, every detail should be logged and in order.
HPI check.

Check out the guarantee that is being offered with the car, what's included and what's not.

If you find any issues you're not happy with then report back here and/or ensure the garage fixes them before you decide to buy.
Thanks for the advice Mike I will certainly ask these questions
Focus 05 TDCi buying advice - Old Navy
Also check the front wing where it meets the sill for damaged paint or corrosion, later models had a plastic shield fitted.