02 1.8 Fluid leaking from beneath the engine - Clk Sec
A kind chap at a filling station spotted fluid leaking from beneath the engine on my Mazda6 about an hour ago. Closer examination reveals this to be coolant which is dripping quite furiously while the engine is running.
I carefully drove the five miles or so to my home while keeping a close eye on the various warning lights etc, then had a closer look.
I?m no technician and I can?t see where this leak originates from, but looking at the car from beneath (as well as I can) it?s running off behind the engine from three points; the exhaust, a small silver shield and a threaded boss.
Although I assume that somewhere in the murky depths below the bonnet a hose is crying out to be replaced, I would be grateful for other, more knowledgeable opinions.
Can?t complain - first problem in nearly 7 years!

Thanks.

Clk Sec

{subject header made less vague}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/06/2009 at 18:22

02 1.8 My First Problem - mfarrow
Does this 'coolant' actually taste of anything?

Has it got air conditioning? If so I've just had the same conversation with gf's father! Condensation is all.
02 1.8 My First Problem - rtj70
Have any of the levels for coolant or any other liquid gone down at all. I bet it's condensation related to the air con.
02 1.8 My First Problem - Clk Sec
Thanks for your reply, mf.

It does have air conditioning but I've not noticed a leak/ condensation like this before, so I think I'll get mazda to check it out tomorrow.

I've just taken the car for another run and it's still the same.

Clk Sec

02 1.8 My First Problem - bathtub tom
Why are you convinced it's coolant, what colour is it, what does it smell like, have you checked your coolant level when cold?

In this temperature and humidity, a lot of condensate will drip off.

Taking it to a garage could give them carte blanche to charge what they like!
>>>Have any of the levels for coolant or any other liquid gone down at all. I bet it's condensation related to the air con

Thanks, Rob.

It doesn't look like it, but I've only done about 15 miles in the car since it was pointed out to me. I think I'll clock up a few more tomorrow before calling on the dealer.

Clk Sec
02 1.8 My First Problem - sumpnut
Do you ever lift the bonnet and check the coolant level? if you do you will know its normal level, and now the engine has cooled if you check it again and the level is lower you have a leak. If it is not lower the fluid is from another source e.g.air conditioner.
If coolant expect to see a stain on the parts where you noticed it flowing.
Also if it is coolant it is not a good idea to take for a long run to prove the point as overheating the engine has expensive consequences.
Thanks BT and SN

I've just harvested a sample and it looks good enough to drink and has no discernible smell, so I guess condensation is the culprit.

I was a bit concerned as I have a longish journey ahead of me mid-week.

Another likely cost saving thanks to the BR.

Clk Sec

PS I'm a good lad - I check the various fluid levels regularly!