What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
04 1.8 nearside headlight - tkdchick
i am having problems with the light cluster on the nearside.

the side lights work, as do the main beams. however the dipped headlight will not work. i have changed the bulb and this has had no effect.
the dipped headlight on the offside works.

has anyone got any ideas on what i should do?
04 1.8 nearside headlight - Dynamic Dave
Does it have its own fuse?
04 1.8 nearside headlight - elekie&a/c doctor
Workshop info lists fuses 16 and 18 for dip beam headlights.In engine bay fuse box next to batery.hth
thats great thanks. what size fuse do they take?
04 1.8 nearside headlight - rtj70
If the fuses have blown, replace with the same rating.
its not the fuse. all fuses are intact
any other ideas?
SQ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/06/2009 at 02:35

04 1.8 nearside headlight - henry k
Do they operate through a relay?
04 1.8 nearside headlight - Saltrampen
When they are switched on, if you can, check to see if you have +12V on the multi connector plug. If you haven't got a manual with wiring diagrams, just see what pins are giving 12V with the other headlight when they are on and check the corresponding pin on nearside. IF you do not have 12V then you know the fault is probably not in the headlight unit. Wiggling the connector or taking it off and on might do also something.
S.

Edited by Saltrampen on 15/06/2009 at 08:35

i have had a electrician round to check all the fuses and stuff. he states there is power going from the switch into the fuse, and power from the fuse into the light.

they are thinking it is the xenon unit. i have looked at xenon units on ebay and they are £90+. does anyone know much about xenon units and how to test them?

this is about to become an expensive minefield if not.

thanks in advance
When they are switched on if you can check to see if you have +12V on the multi connector plug.

how do i check this please?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/06/2009 at 15:07

Xenon headlights need care when working with them.They work at very hi voltage(similar to an ignition coil system).Testing these lights can be awkward.The best way to test the bulb is to fit it in the other headlight,if it does work,then I would suspect the ballast/igniter unit is faulty on the n/side headlight.It is attached to the bottom of the headlight unit.hth
is it usually cheaper to repair the ballast unit or buy a new one. the cheapest one i have seen is a new one on ebay for £89.99 - a sum i really would rather not spend.

it isnt the bulb, i have tried several new bulbs.

gutted really. thanks very much.
If these are original/Ford fit xenons ,then only an original Ford part can be used.The ballast units for sale on fleabay are for aftermarket fitting and are not compatible with a standard xenon bulb.Another possible is to convert the system to standard halogen headlights(both sides) which could work out cheaper.hth
04 1.8 nearside headlight - Saltrampen
You need a multi meter with black probe connected to frame.
But sounds like fault is within the unit if the connectors are all plugged in correctly and firmly.
I am not familar with the Xenon unit, but sounds like it may have to come out to see if it can be repaired or not. (It is not too difficult to get headlight units out of a mk 3, done it with std headlights within 10 minutes).
Maybe worth getting Electrician involved if he is looking at it for free.

Edited by Saltrampen on 17/06/2009 at 11:04

i have taken it to an auto electrician, who informs me that the burner unit is faulty and will not transfer any power to the headlight. it cannot be fixed and a replacement of the full unit, ie the silver box, is required. Ford charge £272 for their original part which is a ghastly amount.

there is one on ebay for a much cheaper price.

04 1.8 nearside headlight - eugene765
reason for this happening is that next to ur fuses are a bunch of connectors one of them connectors has a wire that leads to ur dip lights this wire will have burnt a few of its strands in turn your lights fail try and switch ur lights on as normal go into ur fuse box push the wires around in all the connectors to find the right ones there u will see the lights come on..but hey try and get a connector very hard indeed go to a scrap yard an ask ur better off