What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
01 2.0 Won't rev past 4000rpm - Whiskylad
Hi folks, recently bought 2.0 mondeo, duratec engine

It will hardly rev out past 4000rpm. changed plugs & ht leads but no improvement.

Could it be a faulty sensor? runs sweet as a nut apart from this, couple of times the 'fault' has cleared itself and acceleration was brilliant but then it was back to pathetic. Returns 35mpg on mix of town and open roads so thinking it should not be a serious fault.
Air filter looks fairly new and oil recently changed

Thanks in advance for your help
01 2.0 Won't rev past 4000rpm - crunch_time
Don't know if it's relevant but my Mk2 auto has a rev limiter that cuts in at 4000rpm when not in gear.

Perhaps yours is getting confused, or are you talking about stationary?

01 2.0 Won't rev past 4000rpm - sandy56
I have a similar problem and was told I have a blocked cat, after Ford inspection.
Will be fixed next week.

Good Luck.
Thanks for that, I'll go get cat checked out.

Rather annoying that to accelerate you have to change up a gear as it flat spots at 4,000rpm then slowly creeps up in revs.
01 2.0 Won't rev past 4000rpm - Javalin
have you checked the cam-belt timing? I guess a fuel pressure test would be interesting to.

james
Thanks for the suggestions

Cam chain on this engine so timing shouldn't be the problem.

I'm getting the inlet manifold butterfly valves changed at the weekend so will get fuel filter changed at the same time.

Changed the inlet manifold butterfly valves and that has cured it. The old ones were totally shot and not far from breaking loose.