antifreeze in bulk buy , whats good /bad ? - steveo3002
we have 4 cars in the family , all could use new coolant

anyone suggest whats good stuff ? id like a good few years corrosion protection from it, and prefer not to buy ready diluted stuff i see in all the local shops
antifreeze in bulk buy , whats good /bad ? - gordonbennet
I use this, seems good so far

tinyurl.com/qafgmb

Should imagine a good motor factors wil supply in 20 or 25 litre drum.
antifreeze in bulk buy , whats good /bad ? - brum
You should buy the original stuff! Every manufacturer has its own spec which is very important for compatability, corrosion and longevity. Different spec antifreezes often dont mix without adverse reactions - sometimes they turn to gel when mixed (e.g. Vw G11 and older spec G12). If your 4 cars are from different manufacturers, even more reason. You may save £10 but have major problems in a matter of months. Forget Halfords....
antifreeze in bulk buy , whats good /bad ? - ifithelps
...turn to gel...

Always wondered why handbooks say don't mix different types of anti-freeze.

Provided the OP flushes all the old coolant out of each of his cars, I can't think it can matter too much which anti-freeze is used.

After all, tap water would do the job.

It's just a matter of improving on that in terms of resistance to corrosion and freezing.

NB: Just read GB's Comma link.

It says: ...May also be used universally - providing the system is flushed out before refilling....

Edited by ifithelps on 24/05/2009 at 07:15

antifreeze in bulk buy , whats good /bad ? - scott1s
As has recently happened to me. Did one of those 'special offer' antifreeze changes a while back at a national outlet which is where I suspect the mix occurred. Have just had to shell out £600 between getting the system flushed, head gasket blew (pressure in system sky high due to blockages), thermostat etc etc
An expensive lesson learned . . . . .
SQ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/05/2009 at 01:48

theyre all the same brand cars ...late 80's -90 vw's

they dont have orig spec antifreeze in them now , its the blue stuff from a motor factors at the moment

flushing them is no problem ...i just wanted to find out whats a good high long lasting product thats cheap to buy in big cans
antifreeze in bulk buy , whats good /bad ? - Woodspeed
For a long time now most car manufacturers fill with pink/orange OAT (organic Acid Technology) 4 - 5 year 50000 mile coolant (anti freeze). Which is low or zero silicate. Earlier links to the Comma site will show their pink coolant is available at a good price in larger amounts.
However, don't write off the Halfords product IF it is on offer on BOGOF.
Vauxhall dealers have a good deal on a case of 12 x 1 litre 100% strength, and also worth trying a well known auction site for the same.

If you have had the green/blue stuff in before it does need a complete flush out, or it can turn to a jelly.

Just to confuse things, VW/Audi/Skoda group and Ford now have their OAT dyed purple! But only the top up mix to buy and not original fill. They say is back compatible with green non OAT. However, I personally would not mix.

I have been running 2 Honda cars, 1 VW and a Merc on Vauxhall pink for a couple of years now, all still nice and clean (not instant cocoa in the bottle) and no probs. But...... keep an eye on the hose clips for a short while after a refill and some of them "weep".
antifreeze in bulk buy , whats good /bad ? - Hamsafar
I wouldn't bother changing to pink/red if you've been using blue, whenever people do (including myself) they seem to get problems with leaks, head gaskets, fibreglass waterpump impellers breaking, may be coincidence, but why risk it..
Just go to a motor factors and get a good make like Comma, try and avoid supermarket stuff..
fair point ...its lasted all these years well enough on blue , i cant really risk any leaks or repairs

is the proper term "blue " for what im after ?
antifreeze in bulk buy , whats good /bad ? - oilrag
Not sure - but i seem to remember the inhibitors in `blue` coat the actual metal in the cooling system, unlike red OAT.
As such can`t go back to red once blue has been in there. Because no amount of flushing will remove the corrosion inhibitor from the metal and it reacts with OAT(red).

"is the proper term "blue " for what im after ? "

Conventional (2yr change) ethylene glycol antifreeze, Steve.

Edited by oilrag on 24/05/2009 at 11:57

50% solution with distilled water.
antifreeze in bulk buy , whats good /bad ? - ifithelps
..."is the proper term "blue " for what im after ? "...

Does Blucol still exist as a brand?
2 MB's flushed and changed from MB original to Comma 5 year red as above.

No leaks, clean and clear, according to the sales blurb its good for 5 years.

If you want green/blue then buy Bluecoll instead...no doubt just as good but is supposed to be changed at 2/3 years...i thought the OP wanted a long life anti freeze available easily in bulk.
"2 MB's flushed and changed from MB original to Comma 5 year red as above."

No doubt a `flush` of a type that`s not been seen since the land bridge between France and the England was washed away after the ice age....
;-)
between France and the England was washed away after the ice age....
;-)

Pot, kettle and black spring to mind oh he who coats everything in grease.
Good tease though..;)

On the subject of leaks and colour of coolant, didn't the problems mainly occur when people bought the much cheaper (orange?) methanol based coolant from their local accessory shop.
I seem to remember that very short life stuff having a habit of searching out any weaknesses.