What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
04 1.6 best tyres for rear - tonyrees68
Its new tyre time for my focus. 2 new rears are needed
it seems conti premium2 are very good for my car and so is the goodyear excellence but has anyone had any experience of these tires on a focus or any recommendations on what to buy my tyre size is 205/55/16/v
i have currently michelin premacy hp on the car at the moment and would ideally like less road noise and comfort , sporting performance is not required but i would like the best tyre available
any thoughts
Tony

Edited by Pugugly on 15/05/2009 at 18:56

04 1.6 best tires for rear - quizman
I would stick to the Primacy HPs, they are one of the best tyres around.
Conti Premium 2s are good tyres as are Pirelli P7s.
How many miles have you got from your Michelins?

I have a cousin called Tony Rees, was your dad on the Burma railway?
04 1.6 best tires for rear - tonyrees68
thanks
ive got 29000 from the back tyres from new so that 5 years now, excellent performance and there is still more to go on the michelin hp but just had a puncture in the left rear so going to change them both but i do think that the michelin tyres skip a bit over potholes and i am sure that i can get better road noise reduction what do you think.
ps my dad wasn't in burma but my uncle was his name was Brian Davis
any more help please
hoping to get black circles to fit my tyres next week so any recommendations appreciated
tony
04 1.6 best tires for rear - Pete Mansell
My 57 reg Mark2 Focus came with Pirelli p7's from new. They are incredibly noisy. My previous Mark1 Focus ran on Michelin Energies, which were really quiet.

Whether the Mk2 is a lot noisier than the Mk1, or it's the tyres that make difference, I don't know.
04 1.6 best tires for rear - piston power
I have the same size on my astra and have both michelin on front doing great and original conti's on rear at 22k so any top brand really you do get what you pay for anything cheaper just won't last.
04 1.6 best tires for rear - Hamsafar
I have just put four 205 55 16 Uniroyal Rainsport 2 on my Passat @ £62 each. They are very good. The Passat lets in too much tyre noise, so quietness is important. They are more supple too and of course excellent in the wet like this week. I had Michelin Primacy HP on the car when I got it, very noisy, hard not great in the wet and just wouldn't wear out so I replaced them before they were worn out. I replaced these with Goodyear Excellence, which were much better, but the Uniroyals are better and not made in China like the Goodyear but Belgium. If something is made in China, it should be cheaper that made in the EU.
www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Uniroyal/Rainsport-2.htm

Edited by Hamsafar on 15/05/2009 at 18:39

04 1.6 best tires for rear - MikeTorque
I would certainly recommend the Goodyear Excellence for the Focus II. I changed all 4 of the original Michelin Primacy HP tyres to Goodyear Excellence and the ride quality significantly improved, road noise transmission was significantly reduced and the grip on wet roads is superior, and they got rid of the rear axle skipping that the Primacy HP's use to do on some uneven/pot hole road surfaces. 205/55/16/V are standard for most models, it's what's on my Focus 1.6 TDCi.
Looks like goodyear for my car ive not read a bad review of them thanks for all the input
cheers guys
04 1.6 best tires for rear - quizman
When I took my Continentals back, the tyre firm showed me the complaints book. About every other complaint was for Goodyear. The boss told me that it was the Chinese made Goodyears that caused most of the problems.
Good luck if you buy them and I would make sure they are not made in China. If you are paying top bucks you don't want Chinese rubbish.
04 1.6 best tires for rear - piston power
I had Michelin Primacy HP on the car when I got it, very noisy, hard not great in the wet and just wouldn't wear out

I would not complain at not wearing out lol,

Ring up black circle tyres there in scotland and very knowledgable they won't give you any sales patter!

These guys no what there talking about i buy from these with no problem fit my own & you could fit yours plenty of tyre machines on e bay!
04 1.6 best tyres for rear - L'escargot
I prefer to have a matching set all round, and I always stick to what the car had when new. I'm sure Ford did lots of tests before they chose the tyres they fitted to the Focus II.
i agree to have matching sets all-round but at the moment the front tires are very good (like new really) as befor they dont seem to run out so i ll stick with them until i need a change
my immediate concerns are the comments on china made tires and how can i purchase tires that are made properly for my car
tony
04 1.6 best tyres for rear - quizman
Some Goodyears are made in China, some are made in Europe. Have a look on the sidewall to see where they are made.
04 1.6 best tyres for rear - MikeTorque
When a car manufacturer chooses a tyre for a car there are a number of reasons for that choice, a secure supply, cost, commercial agreements are some of the reasons, other reasons such as ultimate comfort levels, handling, dry/wet grip tend to based of other factors, they don't necessarily mean they add up to the best tyre for the car/model for every type of driver preference.

Hence, if someone considers the original equipment tyres are noisy and they then find out that tyre technology has progressed to produce a tyre that generates less noise, improved comfort etc. then a different tyre choice becomes an option.
04 1.6 best tyres for rear - Roly93
I fitted Goodyear NCT5's on our Focus as a direct replacement for the Conti Eco Contacts. I can't tell you about the wear as we do so little mileage, but I would say that the road noise and ride quality were improved over the Conti's. I would say they suit the car well.
Thanks Roly for that advice as i only do about 5 or 6000 mile per year the wear rate does not matter so much so quality/comfort and road noise are the big factors for me ,so it does seem goodyear tires seem to fit the bill for my focus.
I shall report back to let you know how i get on
Thanks everyone Tony
04 1.6 best tyres for rear - Hamsafar
Don't forget that when the Merc A Class first came out it was found that they used to fall over on bends when driven by motoring journalists in their 'unique style', so the way they got around this was to fit tyres with less grip so that the car would slide instead of flipping over. That shows that vehicle manufacturers don't always get it right first time, and even second time it may be to mitigate someone elses' problem.
Ok got the new tires for the rear wheels and very happy road noise is much quieter and iam sure the road holding is better everything seems more stable and no wobble from the side walls and in the end i went for Michelin energy EA3
i dont know if these improvments are due to the Michelin HP Premacy tires i had on before, were at the end of their life but these tires are fantastic but yet to drive them in the wet and also after visiting a few tire places all of them recommended the michelin energy tires and i paid £171.65 fully fitted so in a few thousand miles i will probably get the same tires for the front if all goes well with my rear tires
Tony
Ok its 6 months on with my Michelin energy EA3 rears and i have got to say they were very good for the first 500 miles of ordinary driving, then the wet weather happened.I feel the rear end grip has gone and road noise has increased a lot. But that was my choice and ill change them before they are due .
Now i have got to get two new front tyres any suggestions as ive been dissapointed with the Michelin rear tyres
Tony
04 1.6 best tyres for rear - henry k
>>Now I have got to get two new front tyres any suggestions
The normal suggestion is to get two new tyres for the back and the Michelins go on the front.

I find the Kumhos ( on my Mondeo) are very quiet.

Thanks for updating us.
04 1.6 best tyres for rear - piston power
Try pirelli, goodyear,avon. got those michelin on mine can't fault them but i take corners a little quick and it does hold.
04 1.6 best tyres for rear - Wurzel83
I used Avon ZV5s on the front of a Focus, they were 205/55/15 and performed very well. Best thing was they were only £45 each from my local tyre fitters.