What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 2.0 brake problem - bigmennie
Hi i recently got new discs and pads put all way round my car and after a week or so they started grinding under heavy braking, but not to heavy to set the abs off. It seems to get worse when they are used more, then its more like if they are binding.

5 mechanics have looked at it now and its not warped discs, not the pads, or the caliper. There is nothing to say its the brakes.

One mechanic said could be something to do with suspension or steering but cant see how?

It gets worse though when the brakes get used more. It gets that bad sometimes it makes the whole car vibrate.

Can someone give me some sort of clue. Could it be a drive shaft ,or wheel bearing, or something as the passenger side drive shaft has been clonking for about 14,000 miles now. It only makes a noise when suddenly putting the accelerator down in 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th gear; not 1st and 2nd gear.

Thanks
{Wording amended to remove the SHOUTING, and to include some grammar - whoops! wrong word used punctuation to make for easier reading - also snip, I'm sure you really didn't mean to post your phone number for the whole wide world to see?}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/05/2009 at 15:07

03 2.0 brake problem - Dynamic Dave
Hi, as you've probably seen, I've edited your post.

I left it pretty much word for word though.

The way I've read it, you've got two problems. A noise under heavy braking, and another noise when accelerating through 3rd to 6th gear.

Is this correct?
right i will leave the accelration thing and put it to the side the main thing i want to know is that about 2000 miles ago i had some new discs and pads put on the car and since then tehy have never been right they grind and when they get hotter it gets worse under heavy braking it sounds like they are binding at this point and it makes the car vibrate i have had them checked twice by 2 mechanics no and still no answer they have been taken apart and cleaned and made sure mechanic no.1 dident do them wrong and still they continue to do it it sounds like its coming form the front and they also grind even more when turning a corner
03 2.0 brake problem - spikeyhead {p}
Drive it for a few miles.

Check wheel temperatures. If one is much hotter than the others then its a sticking bearing.

The other likely issue is that they've removed the old discs with some percussive engineering and damaged a wheel bearing when doing so.
what part of the wheel am i supposed to touch to see if 1 of them are hotter than the others
If you've driven it for a few miles, it won't make much difference.
hi i would like to report that spikeyhead is right the wheel the noise was coming from is definatly hotter than the other 3 wheels so iam guessing that changing the wheel bearing should do it now thanks
03 2.0 brake problem - Dynamic Dave
the wheel the noise was coming from is definatly hotter than the other 3 wheels so iam guessing that changing the wheel bearing should do it now

To throw a spanner in the works, it could be a brake that's partially stuck on. Before splashing out on new bearings, jack up the car and see how freely the wheels turn.
hi i cant see that being the problem i have had 2 mechanics look at all the brakes and 1 took them to bits as well so if that was the problem iam sure they would have noticed that as they did check to make sure the wheel went round freeley anyway my mate has a mondeo breaking so i can get a bearing of that for little if no money

thanks for your imput though greatly appreciated
03 2.0 brake problem - bathtub tom
I wouldn't recommend using secondhand bearings.

The cost of new ones compared to the effort of replacing them ain't worth it.
yes but my mate with the mondeo is also a mechanic so will not charge me much i a new bearing for these are around 90 quid because they are a part of the hub and he will probs oni charge me about 50 quid for the part and doing it which is cheaper than buying a new part
03 2.0 brake problem - Caveman
bigmennie, no offence, but could you try adding some punctuation to your posts? The moderator hinted that it makes for easier reading when he edited your initial post.
right at the end of the day you dont need punctuation to read any of it i just cant be bothered it dosent make a difference a sentence is a sentence
03 2.0 brake problem - Caveman
>>at the end of the day you dont need punctuation to read any of it

True, but it makes it a damn sight easier to read though.

>>i just cant be bothered

If you're not careful, people who come across your monotone post might well adopt the same attitude ;-)
03 2.0 brake problem - L'escargot
Hi i recently got new discs and pads put all way ..........

Are they genuine spares or pattern parts? If they're not genuine then perhaps the grinding noise is the result of an unwise choice of materials or the parts are dimensionally incorrect.

Edited by L'escargot on 12/05/2009 at 10:25

03 2.0 brake problem - turbo11
Have you checked to see if the pistons are moving freely in the calipers. Are the calipers corroded?.
Hi. An update. Just replaced wheel bearing and its still doing it so i think i am just going to change the front discs and pads again as they are the last thing that it can be. Caliper fine, bearing new, so nothing else it can be, and also the abs light is on now and wont work. I've had the abs sensor off, broke it, but got another one off another mondeo, but still on and abs not working. Please help.

Punctuation added once again to make it easier to read. If you persist with this, despite several comments and hints to include punctuation then next time the post(s) will be deleted rather than edited. Webmaster

Edited by Webmaster on 17/05/2009 at 05:13

If the wheel is still getting hot then its not the discs and pads. Was it a new wheel bearing? if not then its possible the second hand one is also knackered, otherwise you've got a stickign caliper which is very common on Mondeos.
hi yes it was a brand new wheel bearing, and the calipers have been checked and seem ok