What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
97 1.25 Rear screen wiper stopped working - Parkton
My wife's car is a 1.25 Ghia Auto and the rear windscreen wiper has suddenly stopped working. I have checked fuse and earth are okay, and wiring connections appear sound. With the wiper stalk in the on position, manually 'helping' the wiper arm to move across screen shows a feeble attempt to return to the parked position, which suggests there is power. The washer pump operates okay too.

Before shelling out on a £40 ish replacement motor, any opinions as to whether there's something else I ought to be checking first? Any advice gratefully received.

Edited by Pugugly on 22/04/2009 at 19:28

97 1.25 Rear windscreen wiper stopped working - Rattle
Get a multimeter on the connections to the motor and ensure its getting power.
97 1.25 Rear windscreen wiper stopped working - pmh2
Check the sprung connection pins on the tailgate have spring and clean the contact points with wire wool.

p
97 1.25 Rear windscreen wiper stopped working - elekie&a/c doctor
Run a seperate wire from the metal of the tailgate to a good earth point on the body and see if that improves the situation.If not then the motor could be in trouble.hth
97 1.25 Rear windscreen wiper stopped working - Parkton
Thanks for the advice all. Established that motor itself was okay and bad earth definitely the problem but still wasn,t working other than intermittently.

Someone suggested to me that partially knocking out the tailgate pins and then back again might help. Tried this and cleaned off surface rust, a smear of copper grease and hey presto its all back to normal! Would never have thought of that myself.

If it reoccurs will definitely run the seperate wire to body earth, but am hoping this has now done the trick.

Cheers all!