What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
04 2.0 Ticking noise related to AC - stjarna
I had an accident repair done to my Focus ST170 at the end of February - I had replacement front bumper, radiator and A/C compressor fitted.

Since I've had the car back there has been a ticking noise every few seconds when the car is being driven. The noise appears to be related to the air conditioning because when it is turned off the noise does not occur (I was pointed in that direction by a google search - one result described the cause but not much more).

The noise is basically composed of a Tick, Tock, Tick every 5 seconds or so when the engine is being revved (it doesn't seem to happen when idling, even if the car is in motion, but does happen when revving when stationary).

I already asked the garage (a Ford main dealer) to look into it when I had my MOT done last week, but they didn't spot it because they turned off the A/C during the test. I hadn't narrowed it down to the A/C at that point.

Before I take the car back to them for another look, does anyone know if this is normal for a new A/C compressor, or for a newly regassed system? I didn't own the car from new so don't know if it's likely to settle down over time.

Any insight gratefully received!
04 2.0 Ticking noise related to AC - elekie&a/c doctor
If the car has had front end damage ,I would have thought that the a/c condenser(radiator) is the part that has been re-newed rather than the compressor.The noise you describe could be the compressor clutch cutting in and out (which is normal)but if it too regular then it is possible that the system is overfilled with refridgerant gas.Also have you checked to see if the cooling fans operate when the a/c is switched on?hth
Sorry, you're right - it's the A/C condenser that was changed, not the compressor. Haven't checked the fans yet but will do so, but the system does appear to be working properly apart from the noise.
Just in case anyone finds this thread in a search later, this might help...

We had a very warm day last week and so I tried using the AC - it wasn't blowing properly cold. Previously I'd thought it was because it was so cold outside!

So I took it back to the garage, who looked it over, confirmed that it hadn't been regassed properly, and sorted it out naturally free of charge.

Thanks to the good doctor - I passed his info on to the garage which might have sped things up a little.
04 2.0 Ticking noise related to AC - Dynamic Dave
We had a very warm day last week and so I tried using the AC

Are you saying that you don't regularly use it?
So I took it back to the garage, who looked it over, confirmed that it hadn't been regassed properly

Or has the gas leaked out because the seals have hardened through lack of regular use?
Are you saying that you don't regularly use it?

Not at all, I normally leave it on as part of the climate control's 'auto' program. However the ticking noise was irritating me so I'd turned it off until I could take it in to be looked at. Should have been more clear really!