98 1.4 What Motor oil should I use in a Zetec-S ? - alvermann
I mean, I'm changing oil next week, but I've been told that some 'American Motor Oils' might be harmful for these engines, so I'm getting a little confused... In past times I've used Mobil, Castrol and Shell.... Any suggestion will be welcomed!

Edited by alvermann on 21/02/2009 at 20:21

98 1.4 What Motor oil should I use in a Zetec-S ? - Simon
You need to make sure that you buy the correct grade more than anything else for a Zetec engine. The correct grade should be 5w30. As for the manufacturer of oil they are all pretty much of a muchness, I wouldn't say there any any that you really should avoid (apart from maybe the cheap supermarket style oils), but you can't go wrong with Fords own Motorcraft oil, which can be purchased from Ford dealers. Its not that expensive either usually.
98 1.4 What Motor oil should I use in a Zetec-S ? - nortones2
As Simon says. Ford usually provide their approval to suitable oils that meet their requirements on viscosity and quality- there will be a number given in the manual. So in addition to the Motorcraft already mentioned, there will be others which are of the right type. Opie Oils can supply the right fluids. No connection. Just that I have used them with satisfaction several times.
98 1.4 What Motor oil should I use in a Zetec-S ? - jc2
Ford Formula E semi-synthetic is the recomended oil and is one of the cheaper ones on the market.Our local dealer has a special offer on at the moment.