wrong tyres same axel - harryrabbit
Can anyone give me some advice;
bought a mercedes second hand from our local vauxhall network q dealership january last year.
car looked fine under my inspection. although after first wash noticed heavy front bonnet chipping which wasn't eveident at the time but thats another story.

on completion of purchase full MOT and a minor service was undertaken by them and passed...
12 months later lo and behold failed MOT
reason wrong tyres on same rear axle
wrong width and height and speed

so went back to vauxhall and explained.. after some deliberation they came back to me and said they would replace the offending tyre..great but really need to replace both now as the one correct tyre is in need of replacing.

Dilema: should I push the envelope and insist they replace both tyres. on the basis that i have effectively been driving an illegal car for the past 12 months unbeknown to me, and as their MOT passing station effectively passed a car that is uninsureable in the event of a crash.

Now I am knowingly driving this car in this position...

should I push the envelope????
not much good at this kind of thing ...but sick and tired of coming off second best..cheers
wrong tyres same axle - Armitage Shanks {p}
You have had 12 months use from the two tyres and they do need replacing but the basis of dicsussion is how is the cost going to be split? I would have thought that if you paid for the worn out one and they paid for the 'wrong' one that would be about right.
wrong tyres same axle - harryrabbit
agreed to that and i suppose i am pushing it to a degree to get them to pay for two
but this supposedly had passed the (network q) rigorous testing procedure when i bought from them...

can i not even apply moral if not blackmail to the fact they as a mot test centre they should not have sent this car out to me in this illegal condition as the purchaser
wrong tyres same axel - Peter S
I think that, after 12 months have passed, you're lucky they're contributing anything. They could quite easily say that the tyre had been changed in that period, and that it had been fine when it left them, so not their problem... Didn't you notice that the tyres were different when checking pressures?

I'd take their offer with good grace before they change their minds :-)

Just my thoughts...

Peter
no i didnt
front tyres were ok
rear tyres 1 was 245/40R17 V 90 and correct
the other was 225/45R17 V 90 and incorrect
guess i trusted the MOT place which were also the vendors more than myself they are the experts...and thats what i paid for
their expertise...
surely an mot testing station has standards to adhere to
wrong tyres same axel - Simon
Yes the MOT station should have picked it up and so should any safety check or service etc prior to you taking delivery of it. That said I would take their 'offer' of replacing the one incorrectly sized tyre and buy (from wherever) the one for the other side yourself. I think that you are asking too much for them to replace both and to be fair you have had 12 months of free wear out of one of the pair. Chalk it up to experience.
you are all so mellow and fair minded...
for the first time in my life i was going to plump up my breast feathers and have a go
only to be deflated by your even handed comments...
you all sound just like me...
this little incident comes the same day the insurance assessors have written off my daughters car for a derisory sum.. even though shes the innocent party a good £700 less or so to find like for like replacement...man alive
cant we all for just one day say stuff it refuse to drive our cars, buy petrol pay insurance smoke in puplic and enjoy...
Im leaving thanks for your help though

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/01/2009 at 21:09

wrong tyres same axel - George Porge
The tyre situation seems fair to me.

As for your daughters car find adverts for a similar car and send them to your insurer, you don't have to accept there first offer, if you have a loan car costing them money that will help quicken up the process.

Good luck on both though and give us an update.
:o)