What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Fun for £5K - tsr
I've got 5 grand to spend on an "fun" car that won't break the bank with running costs. Jap import MX5 roadsters keep coming up as possibilities a less risky choice would seem to be the 158bhp Honda Civic VTi.

Anyone have any thoughts on the above or got any better suggestions?

Tim
Fun for £5K - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Caterham!!!!

--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
Fun for £5K - blank
I don't think you'll do much better than a properly maintained and historied UK model MX5, of which there are many around within your budget if you are prepared to spend time looking. These are mechanically simple and reliable. Have a look at mx5oc.co.uk for lots of information on specifications etc. There is also a very helpful list of things to check on used purchases.

There are all sorts of alternatives if you are prepared to have a roof, but, because I am thinking of a similar purchase, I have not found a better convertible option.

There are lots of arguments in favour of the Jap imports, but they have no history, and appear to be hard to sell on. All the leather seats, aircon and headrest speakers on the Jap models don't compensate for this IMO.

I am almost sure you won't find a decent Caterham for your money, but it's a nice thought.

Good luck!
Andy
I am almost sure you won't find a decent Caterham for
your money, but it's a nice thought.

Westfield!!!

--
Parp, Parp!
Fun for £5K - Tomo
WHAT'S wrong with Jap imports? I think mine is a cracker!
Tomo
Fun for £5K - Chad.R
If you're not bothered too much about trim and other bit's falling off, a well maintained Pug 205 1.9GTi should offer loads of fun for relatively little outlay - around 2k for minter plus 1k for some track day mods and you've got the other 2k left over - a nice holiday in the Caribbean? :-)

Be careful of the "lift off" oversteer though, will always catch you out the first time, then you learn to expect and sometimes provoke it.
Fun for £5K - BrianW
What do Lotus 7s go for nowdays?
Fun for £5K - Graham
Is that code for Landrover 3?

You could get a couple of Series III's and have a grand for the petrol. And lots and lots of fun.
Fun for £5K - Graham
Oh and I forgot : No depreciation if you choose carefully.
Fun for £5K - Steve G
Peugoet 306 GTi-6
Some at auction below £5000.
167 BHP,six speed gearbox, great chassis and all the right extras ..cd player /aircon/half leather...
Real performance bargain.
Fun for £5K - doug_523i
Fun for less than £5k? Get a Yamaha R1 or a Fireblade.
Fun for £5K - Marcus
Nissan Sunny GTi-R - seriously fast and reliable
Fun for less than £5k? Get a Yamaha R1 or
a Fireblade.

Lets face it a GS450 would be better and quicker than a c*r!

--
Parp, Parp!
Fun for £5K - Pugugly {P}
Agree,
Never had so much 4 wheel (drive) fun. The trip back from Southern Spain was a taster, the ex-pat Landie has been a larf.
Even parked in the local Tesco it draws attention.....its rather strange colour scheme, unique to the Spanish market ?? but definately original. Love it to bits.
Fun for £5K - Dwight Van Driver
Pugugly

For you a must now...

www.lro.com

DVD
(Its built to leak)
Fun for £5K - Richard Hall
If you're going down the Land Rover route, £5K should be enough to get you a usable 90 V8, with enough to spare for an LPG conversion. Much more capable on and off road than a Series 3.
Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
Hijacking of threads by Landie addicts - blank
Mark - can't you do something?!!:-))
Fun for £5K - Pugugly {P}
Thanks added to my list of sites......

By the way it does...!! (Where are my Green Wellies !)
Fun for £5K - Trisha TR
Slightly biased - a well sorted, restored (obviously) TR7 v8.

OR prap's a late model (97) v6 Ford Probe - these are available for buttons now; if you don't fancy the blue oval badge get the Mazda MX6 - same car, different frock. Both built by Mazda.
Fun for £5K - Sprice

Civic Type R

Fun for £5K - SLO76
Thread’s nearly 16yrs old, I doubt the origional poster is still here. Good call on the Type R mind.

Edited by SLO76 on 20/03/2018 at 19:25

Fun for £5K - Ian D
Sprice - I think your sound advice may be 16 years too late!!
Fun for £5K - Avant

Yes, although an MX-5 or a fast Honda Civic are as good answers to the question as they were in 2002.

Fun for £5K - movilogo

You can have fun with any car. It is not what you drive but how you drive it. =:-o)

Fun for £5K - SLO76

You can have fun with any car. It is not what you drive but how you drive it. =:-o)

I’ve driven plenty of heavy metal and the best fun I’ve had on four wheels is driving a small lightweight hatch or two seater with modest power.