What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
96 1.8 windscreen washer system failure - 7209vk
On my Mondeo the rear washer stopped working sometime ago, minor issue and not causing a problem however a week ago the front washers stopped working too. This was around the time of the freezing cold weather, however I waited to see if there was any freezing in the system. But how 2 weeks on, no joy.

When you operate the front or back you used to get a noise when the pump was trying/working. This has stopped with the increase of the problem.

I was informed by Ford to check if when operating the system water appeared to come from the area around the pump incase pipes had been blasted off the pump. This produce no joy, have check the owners manual for fuse diagram to check this avenue. But can only find the headlamp washer system fuse(not a feature on my vehicle) but check anyway and ok.

Could anyone help with any experience or advice in this matter.

7209vk

Edited by Pugugly on 19/01/2009 at 20:36

1996 1.8 Windscreen Washer System Failure - Dave_TD
Silly question - there is water/washer fluid in the tank isn't there?

Mondeo washer bottles can clog up with sediment/dirt very easily as they are located out of sight you can't see this happening... The remedy was to stir the bottle with a length of garden cane inserted in the filler neck.

HTH.
1996 1.8 Windscreen Washer System Failure - 7209vk
Yes there is water in the tank.
However will try the stirring idea, as you said it is out of sight.
Will let you know how that goes.

Many Thanks
1996 1.8 windscreen washer system failure - ddr
I've just had this same problem on a '99 mondeo. Needed a new washer pump.

A warning however: the cost of a new genuine pump from Ford was an eye watering £50. It might be an idea to get a pattern part which is usually around £15.
1996 1.8 windscreen washer system failure - Dave_TD
the cost of a new genuine pump from Ford was an eye watering £50. It might be an idea to get a pattern part which is usually around £15

Or one from a scrappy for a fiver (probably including the washer bottle!!)