What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New shape Mondeo or Accord- 2 - StevieC
A couple of months ago I posed the question, should I buy a new shape Mondeo or an Accord, well after months of dithering including sidetracking completely and considering a Nissan Qashqai, I have put a deposit down on a 2008 Mondeo 2.0 diesel titanium estate in tonic blue, it looks lovely, but one drawback for me, the previous owner was obviously a smoker, have any of you any tips on how to get rid of that lingering odour, I am an ex smoker and therefore probably one of the worst and I hate the blooming smell!
New shape Mondeo or Accord- 2 - ablandy
cant help with the smell problem (although i do recall something about leaving a pot of vinegar in the car overnight), but congrats on the mondeo - i have done almost 12000 in mine and its a good car. I wanted tonic, but they removed it from the list at the first "update" (they changed some colours and wheel choices around - not sure what else they did!)

Parking sensors on mine work well (an essential with the estate i think) and i can get it into tiny spaces. Heated screen is incredibly handy this time of year.

When i first got it one of my neighbours had seen it and asked about my posh new car was. She looked quite disappointed when i said it was a Ford!
New shape Mondeo or Accord- 2 - FocusDriver
Easy. Untreated charcoal BBQ briquettes. Put a foil tray of it under the drivers seat for a week and the smell should disappear.

Failing that, lemon rind. It doesn't only mask smells but removes them.

I'm green with envy at your new purchase. Enjoy!
New shape Mondeo or Accord- 2 - dxp55
My Mazda was owned by a heavy smoker and after two years the smell is still there - I tried all remedies but although it masks smell for a while it come back especially when car has been sitting in sun - There are companies that will clean interior to get rid of smell -- One report I read they had to do it twice - seemed driver held his hand with fag in it on top part of steering wheel -ash fell down and built up between dash and top of steering column.
Anyway nice car hope you can get it smelling nice - nothing worse is there

Another ex smoker - 39 yrs now
New shape Mondeo or Accord- 2 - craig-pd130

I hope you enjoy it. I've 9500 miles up on my 2.0 TDCI Zetec estate and I'm very, very pleased with it.

It's averaged exactly 42mpg from new (genuine, not on the computer, 60% urban and 40% m-way / open road).

No problems to report, apart from some rather slapdash under-bonnet routing of vacuum and intercooler hoses etc, which I corrected.

One tip I would recommend is to use 3rd gear round town in preference to 4th. 4th is tall (23mph / 1000rpm) and although the engine will pull 4th at 30mph, I don't think it feels very happy doing so. 30mph in 3rd is about 1800rpm.

Also, watch out for the DPF regenerating ... the Ford DPF set-up does both "passive" regeneration (i.e. driving on the open road at 2,000rpm+ for periods of time) and "active" regeneration (i.e. when the ECU detects a regen. is needed). When active regens happen, you can feel the engine "hunting" a little at light throttle and the engine cooling fan will run for the entire regen process (about 10 minutes, usually). It's best to try and avoid switching the engine off if the fan is running ... let the fan switch off first.

On the smell, a bowl of vinegar left overnight is worth a try, it got rid of the smell of sour milk from a supermarket boot spillage for me.
New shape Mondeo or Accord- 2 - StevieC
Many thanks all, I will try all those suggestions and thanks for the tips Craig... now I just want to take delivery of it! which will take a while as I am putting my personal plates on it
New shape Mondeo or Accord- 2 - Pendlebury
Stevie - I am sorry to read that you had to go for the Mondeo - commiseration's my friend - maybe you could get the Accord in a couple of years with a bit more saving - at least you have something to look forward to while you use your rep mobile.

Only joking - congratulations - I was only thinking this morning how well Ford are doing with all their cars currently. They seem to not do any wrong at the moment - anything they bring out is well designed, have the best handling and comfort and are proving to be generally reliable. I can't help any more than those above with the smell unfortunately but make sure you keep us posted and please post a day 1 update when you have driven it home and taken stock of it all. Good luck and many happy miles of trouble free motoring.

New shape Mondeo or Accord- 2 - Pugugly
Nice test in the current edition of CAR -Conclusion may come as a bit of a surprise for some though !