What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2003 2.0 TDCi engine idle revs - ITman
Hi

Anyone got a mondeo like mine First registered June 2003, but engine built Oct 2002 according to engine number.

Can anyone tell me what their idle revs are.

Haynes manual to 2003 says 950. Haynes manual from 2003 says early engines 950 and later engines 750 ?? What is an early and late engine. Mine idles at 750 which feel too slow.

Thanks

ITman
2003 2.0 TDCi engine idle revs - rtj70
For a diesel 750 sounds about right to me. My Mondeo TDCi was around that figure. But it was a Euro IV engine when they first appeared so likely to have been a 2003 engine in a 2003 car.
Thanks for that.

Got my engine details from a list produced by burton power

So I am assuming that is correct

How do I know if it is a Euro IV or not

Regards
2003 2.0 TDCi engine idle revs - jc2
Why should "Burton Power" be any more correct than anyone else?;emission level should be on your logbook.
Burton Power have a list of numbers/lewtters that tell when the engine was actually manufactured.

Rather than date of registration of the car.

There are 2 letters in the Vin number (or whatever it is called these days) that tell the engine manufacture date.

All I want to know is what revs other owners cars are idling at. Please please please, just answer the question.
Hi jc2

Why is it that whenever I put a thread on here you answer a simple question with an answer that bears no resemblance to the question I originally asked.
Your car was first registered in June 2003 - it will not be EuroIV. The first EuroIV engines were in September 2003 - I know I waited before ordering mine.

The downside of a EuroIV was slightly higher CO2 emissions to reduce NOx emissions. As a company driver with an early EuroIV diesel I avoided the 3% extra BIK charge. But mpg was lower than the Euro III TDCi diesel.
Thanks for the info on Euro IV

My consumption is great, just wish it wouldn't feel like it was about to conk out at every roundabout.

Thats why I think for this age of engine it would be better with another couple of hundred revs on it.

And yes, I have changed the EGR valve, air filter, new/recon injectors, although I am suspicious of these. Just can't get time to get another code check done.

Please can anyone tell me what there mondeo is idling at so that I can do a comparison.
2003 2.0 TDCi engine idle revs - jc2
The two letters/five numbers in the VIN on Ford vehicles are the date(to a month) of vehicle production-not necessarily engine.
This is an extract from the Burton Power page I used.

"The original engine number for this car would be RD13749 (the last part of the chassis number is always the original engine number), so the first two letters of the engine number defines the engine?s manufacture date. A later chassis number would have a format such as WFOAXXGABAFM12345 (with original engine number of FM12345). The manufacture code is FM which translates to March 1985."

My 2 letters are 2R which hows that the engine manucature date was Oct 2002. But the car has additions which were only introduced in Feb 2003, however it has no additions introduced in June 2003.

Maybe the car car was manufactured in 2002 and upgraded ready for sale in 2003, who knows and who cares.

All I want to know is what revs other mondeos idle at.

I have nearly lost the will to live, and am now looking for a suitable razor to slash my wrists with. (I am only joking on that one).

Well mine idled around 750rpm... but I do know that Mondeos can be easy to stall. My TDCi was not and neither was the test drive car. But the original dealer demo I stalled twice before I left the car park.
Thanks for that, was yours early 2003, as I am not sure when they changed from 950 to 750 as per the haynes manual.

Thanks
Mine was built in Sept 2003.
Thanks for that

Mine tends to stall sometimes aproaching roundabouts especially if I have to brake sharply.
It has been much better since I changed the EGR valve. £185 wow!

I am sure that when I first had the car it idled at about 800/850, but since the injectors have been changed/cleaned it now idles at 750. Maybe this is right.