What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 2.0 A Weird Question about Water - silvermon

Ok I have this really dumb question. I have bought a 2nd hand Ford Mondeo 2003 TDCI Diesel 2.0 car and have been driving for 6 months. I have noticed that people tend to pour in water or battery water into their cars. However mine does not seem to have any compartment to pour battery water. I only pour in engine oil when its at low. Thats it. Does my car even use water, Pls advice as Im not good at all with cars. Thanks
03 2.0 A Weird Question about Water - John S
First - Read the handbook!

Potentially 3 'types' of 'water' are used in cars.
One, Screenwash. Used in reasonable quantities especially at this time of year. Actually best to use water plus screen wash additive (available Halfords or motorist shops). This is probably what you see people pouring in in quantity.
Two, Coolant into the radiator header tank. The car should use little, if any. Again, not plain water but water plus (typically) 50% antifreeze/corrosion inhibitor. Needs to be the right one for your car, so best bought at Ford dealer. Fill to the correct mark.
Three, Battery top up. Few cars have batteries that can be topped up these days. This must be distilled or demineralised water (again Halfords/Motorist shop) if your car has a battery which has removable covers. Needs to be 3mm above the plates - not full to the brim.

JS
03 2.0 A Weird Question about Water - kithmo
IMO, it's better to use distilled or demineralised water with the antifreeze in the coolant system as well, the purer the water the less chance of corrosion.
03 2.0 A Weird Question about Water - John S
With the level of corrosion inhibitor in antifreeze, which can keep alloy head iron block engines from corrosion for years, I never worry about using tap water!

JS
03 2.0 A Weird Question about Water - kithmo
I never worry about using tap water!

My bad, what I meant to say was not corrosion, but limescale. I live in a hard water area and the scale that builds up in the kettle and the steam iron persuaded me to use demineralised water in the car cooling system.
03 2.0 A Weird Question about Water - mfarrow
And don't whatever you do get either of the above mixed up with brake fluid - usually in a plastic container with thin metal pipes coming out the bottom and a black drum behind it.

Don't try topping up your battery unless you're having symptoms of poor starting, i.e. sluggishness. The risk of getting it wrong, splashing acid on you, your clothes, and the car, just isn't worth it.
03 2.0 A Weird Question about Water - Andrew-T
>The risk of getting it wrong ... just isn't worth it.

Humbug. You would need to be severely cack-handed or incompetent for this to be a serious risk. Once you know the risk exists it is easily avoided. But as others have said, not many batteries can be topped up any more.