96 1.6 cold start/cooling fan on problem - captain pugwash
I have an all of a sudden combined problem with our 'K' series 400.When I switch off the engine the cooling fan now continues to run for up to 20 mins.,even though the gauge shows a typically normal temperature(no bubbles,no oil in expansion tank etc).Secondly,the car has become difficult to start when the engine is cold.Once warmed up it runs fine.I have given a bit of thought to the possible cause and wondered if anyone could give their thoughts.
The one thing,looking at the wiring diagram, which could connect the two situations I feel is the coolant temperature sensor,which sends info to the ECU which in turn controls the fuel(including cold starting) and cooling fan amongst other things.So if this sensor goes belly up and sends out a signal that the engine is very hot,then I presume a)the fan kicks in and b)when you start from cold,the ECU is told not to use the automatic choke.Any thoughts would be most welcome as I loathe paying out a small ransom just for having it plugged in at the local dealers!
One final word,does anyone recommend a possible handheld plugin diagnostic tool for using on the car or does anyone know of any technical bulletin on tracking down ECU/sensor faults that can be used instead.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all at Honestjohn.
96 1.6 cold start/cooling fan on problem - captain pugwash
Well I might as well write to myself,just in case it crops up for anyone else!I decided to take the plunge and pay out £12 to the local Rover parts dept. and fit a new sensor.Hey presto!,sorted both problems in one go-no fan on now and starts straight away on the coldest of mornings.Byeee.