What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Titanium - Colin J
Collected the Mondeo Titanium on thursday which i am absolutely delighted with, seems very well made and drives and handles brilliant also a good range of toys and the sony rad/cd player is fantastic, fingers crossed i hope it turns out to be better than HAT unless i just dropped on a bad one.
Titanium - Alby Back
You may never sell it Colin.....

Enjoy !
Titanium - FocusDriver
"Collected the Mondeo Titanium on thursday which i am absolutely delighted with..."

Mmmm, very nice Colin. Bit too big for me but a corker of a motor all the same. Nice looking too. Lord knows what HAT is but heck, motoring journos have been keen to give the new Mondy a resounding thumbs up. So I expect you'll forget all about "HAT" soon...
Titanium - rtj70
You don't say the age but I'd check the bottom of the doors and the boot/tailgate for rust. It has been a problem and now would be the time to check.

I really enjoyed the time I had a Mondeo TDCi Ghia.
Titanium - Colin J
The year is a 55 plate with 30k on the clock, i have had mondeos before but this one is a real peach lovely to drive comes in stardust silver and yes it is a cracking looking car.Build wise i would put in the VW bracket it does remind me of the passat alot which i had a few years back but it does seem as if Ford are catching the German marks up with the build quality.
HAT-Honda Accord Tourer.
Cheers All. Colin
Titanium - rtj70
The designer of the Mondeo MkIII joined Ford from VW... say no more. But it was not until the facelift and the revised interior in 2003 that I even considered it.

Still check your doors for rust! It can get bad but caught early it avoids the need for new doors. Aslo check the log book for stamps for the bodywork/paint checks. Without them the long bodywork warranty is null and void.
Titanium - Colin J
Hi rtj70.Checked the service book but there is only stamps for the regular services, you say about rust on the bottom of the doors what is the best way to prevent this,any help would be most appreciated.Colin
Titanium - rtj70
I heard some cars did not have the bottom of the doors sealed properly. Also (I was told by the bodyshop) that the bonnet and hatch can rust - he certainly looked for it. On mine only the rear two doors had started rusting.

Now might be a good time to investigate getting a body check done and trying to get Ford to honour any warranty from now on. The check was apparently only £20 but lease companies tended to not want them as they got rid of cars before they might rust. Mine was on a four year lease so started rusting. Having said that it was a 2003 car (built September 2003 - I knew the week) so they may have sorted it.

If it helps, I have sent you an email with some photos so you know what mine looked like after 3+ years. These had the remaining seal/etc pulled off by the bodyshop so then suddenly looked a lot worse.

Rob
Titanium - Colin J
Hi Rob.Many thanks for the email yes i see what you mean, dont think mine is as bad as that yet but over the next couple of days i will try and send you some pics of it she is a beautiful motor chuffed to bits wth it.I have just put another post on about Millers diesel power sport treatments & enhancers do you think they do any good by adding to the fuel.
Cheers Colin
Titanium - rtj70
I had the Euro IV 2.0TDCi and I did have two problems with EGR valves. Not sure if Millers would have made a difference or not. In terms of power, it had plenty. It is said the 2.0 130PS on UK spec diesel for the 2003 and later model years could put out more like 147PS.

You didn't say which engine your had - maybe even 2.2TDCi?

Instead of hoping about the doors I'd look into getting it sorted and kicking up a fuss with the selling garage. They are fixable if caught soon enough. Leave it too long and it's new door time!

Mine didn't have problems with bonnet/hatch but they can be affected too.

Enjoy the car - I enjoyed mine. I find my Mazda6 more comfortable and quieter but have the DPF/oil rising problem on that!
Titanium - Colin J
Rob. 2.0 130 Bhp been told Millers can improve engine lifespan but on some forums there is mixed views whether it can be a waste of money.Some even say it can depend on were you buy your fuel from ie Supermarkets and what grade it is not quite sure on this one.
Colin
Titanium - rtj70
I used to buy almost all of my fuel at a Shell garage to/from work. I had the EGR valve problem with that fuel. I then did lots of miles on Tesco fuel which was fine. The EGR went again (but differently and surprisingly stopped the car working/starting suddenly) but I think that was a faulty replacement because it was less than 12 months later.
Titanium - L'escargot
The designer of the Mondeo MkIII joined Ford from VW...

Cars are designed by loads of people, not just one person.
Titanium - rtj70
"Cars are designed by loads of people, not just one person."

Obviously, but there will be a lead designer who gives overall direction etc. Like Chris Bangle who messed up the design of some BMWs.
Titanium - Number_Cruncher
The designer of the Mondeo MkIII joined Ford from VW...

And there's also a world of difference between a design and engineering - so, to link the person who drew the shape of the car and the rust on the doors is misleading.

Titanium - rtj70
NC, I didn't intend linking the design and engineering. Besides I believe the rust was a manufacturing problem. Some cars are okay and others not. Therefore the process is wrong.

But we digress. This thread was discussing Colin's new Mondeo Titanium.
Titanium - boxsterboy
It's funny, many of the posts on here laud the Mondeo as the bees knees - and then we hear how they can suffer premature rusting??

Seems like they're no better than a Mercedes (W210 E-class) after all! ;-)
Titanium - rtj70
I was led to believe by the local bodyshop the doors start rusting because of moisture trapped inside during manufacture/assembly. They could have been wrong though.
Titanium - NowWheels
Seems like they're no better than a Mercedes (W210 E-class) after all! ;-)

Ford could sue that line as an advert ;-)
>>was a manufacturing problem.

Despite my prejudices, even I consider manufacturing to be part of engineering!

Titanium - davidh
Surely the perceived quality not the text book definition of quality that you get from just sitting in the car is down to the metal pressing and body engineers, or the CAD engineers working on moulds for the dashboard plastics etc?
Titanium - davidh
continued... and not the "designers"?
Titanium - spikeyhead {p}
Despite my prejudices even I consider manufacturing to be part of engineering!

some of it is, the production engineering part, ensuring that a process is capable of making a product within tolerance, that it can't be done incorrectly, or at least it is more difficult to do it incorrectly and that it meets the budget. However, I've often been amazed at how some processes have managed to go wrong, usually due to a n operative finding and "easier and better" way of doing a task.
>>some of it is,

Yes, I was being a little facetious. I've been involved in one or two really interesting projects to sort out manufacturing problems, one making fixtures stiff enough to allow machining without distorting the part or allowing it to vibrate, and another in making a friction welding process work well, without welding the part to the machine!

On the other hand, I also looked after machine load balancing for a brief while to get an urgently required set of parts through in the minimum time - matchsticks were almost required to keep my eyelids apart!
Titanium - Statistical outlier
Colin, really pleased to hear you have something you're pleased with. The Mondeo is a really nice car, and it sounds like you had a dud Honda, so I think you've done well. Enjoy.
Titanium - rtj70
Those that knock the Mondeo MkIII probably never drove one. My first drive of one to see if I was interested was a dealer's TDCi 130 Zetec S Estate. It had 18" wheels but the ride was fine. I went for the Ghia anyway which had 16" wheels.

After a Passat which wallowed in corners (being polite) it was both comfortable and good handling. On a nice A road it felt well planted. In the Passat I felt I had to learn the bumps and ruts in a road to feel confident in pushing on a little.
Titanium - Alby Back
You might even end up giving it a name.......

;-)
Titanium - Colin J
Hi Gordon, Yes i am really pleased with it,as far as the HAT went i do think there was an hidden agenda somewhere down the line about the one i had,When i went to do the p/x for the mondeo the technician told me the bonnet had been re-sprayed professionally i might add.But with all the problems i had with it i was just beginning to get eneasy about the motor, it has not put me off Hondas but for the time being i thought i would go back to a trusted mondeo and to my surprise it came with a spare wheel..
Cheers Colin
Titanium - ST Driver
I have the 2.2 ST estate.

Very nice.

I use Millers (mainly because I hope it will prolong the injectors) but have had an EGR valve replaced under warranty.

Enjoy you new Mondy!
Titanium - Marc
When the Mondeo 3 first came out in 2000 it was clearly a copy, shapewise, of the (96 onwards) VW Passat. The Passat was the car to beat at the time.

I think the rusty door issue only affected a number of early vehicles - I'd seriously doubt the sealant would still have been an issue on a 2005 car - Ford were well aware of it by then (mine was an 01Y fixed under warranty in 03 and mine hadn't had the body inspections or stamps)

Very nice spec the Titanium - enjoy.
Titanium - rtj70
My 2003 Mondeo was affected by the rusty doors. I think Colin's might be as well unfortunately.

But he can probably sort that via Ford warranty.
Titanium - Alby Back
I have two theories about these supposedly dodgy Mondeos.

The ones that break down aren't being driven properly.

The ones that rust aren't being washed properly.

Mine have all been faultless.

;-)
Titanium - rtj70
The ones that rust aren't being washed properly.

Well mine started rusting from the inside of the door - as do the others. Can't see how washing it or not would make a difference ;-)
Titanium - Alby Back
Well it's something. No smoke without fire etc........!

None of the "Betsys" has ever rusted or so much as sneezed mechanically. Won't hear a word against them.

Colin's will be fine anyway. It's a Titanium. Doesn't rust does it...titanium ?

Merry Christmas!

;-)
>>Doesn't rust does it...titanium ?

Not in the conventional sense, but, a surface oxide layer does form on newly exposed surfaces in about half an hour (similar to, but slower than with Aluminium). To form the strongest bonded joints with Titanium, you need to remove this layer, and then, bond quickly.

Titanium - kithmo
The dodgy ones rusted on the seam where the door outer skin is folded over the inner. The bead of sealant, that was supposed to be on this seam, was misplaced and ended up on top of the folded bit of metal, thus misssing the place it was intended to seal. My previous 2001 Mk3 started bubbling at 5 years old and Ford agreed to repair it, even though I had not had any of the body checks done, but by the time they had made the decision (took 3 months) I had traded it in for my present 2005 (55 reg) model. My new one is just over 3 years old now and I'm confident that the seams will be ok, as I can see that the bead of sealant is over the seam on all four doors and the hatch.
Titanium - Colin J
Checked tailgate & doors today cant find any rust on none of them, How long does the warranty cover for the paint work or rust as in the discussion we have been having on the doors because TCH did not mention nothing to me about that.
Cheers
Titanium - rtj70
I think all bodywork/paint warranties are for perforation from inside out. But Ford do have a paint/body inspection which you will see places for in the log book. It's probably 12 years too.

And the checks are about £20pa
Titanium - Colin J
Cheers Rob. I have not received the log book from swansea yet.
Titanium - rtj70
I didn't mean to say log book. That's what you get from watching TV and posting.

I meant the "service book" which has the stamps for services, body checks, etc. I would think with the age of the car if you need anything doing then Ford will probably help.
Titanium - Colin J
Well had my 1st problem with Sony Cd player yesterday ejected the present CD,Tried to put a brand spanking xmas box one in and when it was loading it kept stopping and starting now it wont play or eject when you press the eject button it reads no CD & error.Contacted main dealer today and the 1st question he asked me is the disc a SNIDE
what cheek.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/12/2008 at 21:34

Titanium - J1mbo
1st question he
asked me is the disc a SNIDE
what cheek.

A what????

Not surprised about the stereo problem, I owned two Mondeos (mk2 and mk3) and all of them had problems with the radio or CD. They should simply fit an exchange replacement.
Titanium - LondonBus
SNIDE = pirate copy.
Titanium - Colin J
Any idea if the dealers 3 month would cover this.